Controversial Ending to Clippers-Thunder Game Prompts ‘NBA is Fixed’, ‘NBA is Rigged’ Memes, Social Media to Explode
By James Patrick Quizon | May 14, 2014 3:09 PM EST
Even before Game 5 of the Los Angeles Clippers-Oklahoma City game ended, most NBA fans in various forum, social media—Facebook and Twitter were saying that the “fix is in” as the Thunder came roaring back into the game with a series of bad calls from the referees.
The Clippers had a 7-point lead (104-97) with 49 seconds to go but lost it and the game, 105-104 and social media exploded criticizing the league and the refs.
0:49 - Kevin Durant makes 27-foot three point jumper (LAC 104, OKC 100)
0:22 - Jamal Crawford misses layup
0:21 - Russell Westbrook defensive rebound
0:17 - Kevin Durant makes layup (LAC 104, OKC 102)
0:13 - Chris Paul bad pass (Russell Westbrook steals)
0:06 - Chris Paul shooting foul (Russell Westbrook draws the foul)
0:06 - Russell Westbrook makes free throw 1 of 3 (LAC 104, OKC 103)
0:06 - Russell Westbrook makes free throw 2 of 3 (LAC 104, OKC 104)
0:06 - Russell Westbrook makes free throw 3 of 3 (LAC 104, OKC 105)
0:06 - Clippers Full timeout
0:00 - Chris Paul lost ball turnover (Reggie Jackson steals) (LAC 104, OKC 105)
0:00 - End of the 4th Quarter (LAC 104, OKC 105 FINAL)
The questionable calls came after the Russell Westbrook steal at the 13-second mark when Reggie Jackson drove to the basket and the ball went out of bounds. Replays showed the ball was off Jackson but possession was given to the Thunder.
In the ensuing possession after bad call, Wesbtrook attempted an ill-advised long three-pointer but Paul was called for a foul. Replays showed not much contact and Doc Rivers was seen livid on the sidelines after the back-to-back calls against his squad.
Westbrook made all three free throws to give OKC the 105-104 lead but NBA fans everywhere were disgusted saying the referees handed the Thunder the game.
A meme that summarized the entire NBA landscape’s opinion on Tuesday night:
— nobody (@itzzStevie) May 14, 2014
From the players, former and current:
Wow.!! That's all I can say smh — Baron Davis (@Baron_Davis) May 14, 2014
Wow...... Are u serious?????
— BRANDON JENNINGS (@BrandonJennings) May 14, 2014
From Bill Simmons, a popular NBA writer and broadcaster from ESPN:
That was all-time bad. I'm staying off Twitter. — Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) May 14, 2014
Some more from the NBA media:
There better be wi-fi on my flight home, because I'll be checking inbox for NBA officiating emails constantly
— J.A. Adande (@jadande) May 14, 2014
Cannot believe the NBA refs just gave Golden Tate another touchdown — Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) May 14, 2014
The refs really snatched that one. C'mon @NBA don't cheat like thaaaat!
— Lamorne Morris (@LamorneMorris) May 14, 2014
And some more from various fans
I don't like clippers but honestly nba is rigged — chanćho (@anthonydehnoush) May 14, 2014
— HEARTBREAK KID (@Tyreeeeee) May 14, 2014
But OKC is going to get these calls late, which is why you don't let them hang around, the NBA wants to see OKC in finals. — John Anthony (@johnisbased) May 14, 2014
Well, can't wait to see what the NBA says tomorrow about this officiating.
— Rey-Rey (@TheNoLookPass) May 14, 2014
Hey @NBA why the hell do u have instant replay in the game if u gonna cheat anyway — I'm Shmacked (@ImShmacked) May 14, 2014
Doc Rivers somehow didn't know Sterling was racist. And before tonight he somehow didn't know NBA games are decided by refs. Amazing!
— SportsPickle (@sportspickle) May 14, 2014
This is why the NBA is a weakened product. Refs out there trying to get shoe deals. — Big Juice (@_BigJuice_) May 14, 2014
— Terri Ivens (@TerriIvens) May 14, 2014
Rivers reflected what every fan observed about the game saying "they got robbed because of the that call."
Do you agree with Rivers? Is the NBA rigged? Write in your opinions on the matter in the comments section.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28