A Peek at David Beckham’s Diary for UNICEF; Films New Whisky Commercial
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 14, 2014 2:58 PM EST
When David Beckham visited the Philippines as UNICEF Ambassador after the Asian nation was struck by the devastating Typhon Haiyan, he made sure to write his experience on a diary so he wouldn't miss out on life lessons that the tragedy has taught the world.
Former England soccer captain David Beckham (C) arrives at an evacuation centre to visit typhoon victims nearly 100 days after super Typhoon Haiyan devastated Tacloban city in central Philippines February 13, 2014. Local officials said, Beckham is one of the biggest donors to super typhoon Haiyan devastated areas in central Philippines. REUTERS/Erik De Castro
News.com.au first reported Beckham's diary during his short trip to the Philippines. According to the retired English soccer player, he didn't think twice when UNICEF asked him to pay the typhoon-stricken nation a visit. "I didn't hesitate when UNICEF offered me the opportunity to visit one of the most badly affected areas, Tacloban." Beckham recalled feeling the weight of the tragedy, but the spirit of the Filipinos was what struck him the most.
"Nothing would've prepared me for the experience I had."
"The destruction was mind blowing, but it's the resilience of the Filipinos I met that will stay with me for the rest of my life."
Read more of Beckham's diary on UNICEF's Web site.
Beckham had previously visited the Philippines as UNICEF Ambassador in December 2011. He visited a shelter for Filipino children who have been abandoned or molested.
Meanwhile, Beckham was recently spotted filming a commercial for Diageo's Haig Club Scotch Whisky at a bar in Edinburgh, Heraldscotland.com reported.
In April, Diageo announced its partnership with the soccer icon and British entrepreneur Simon Fuller, the mind behind the Idol franchise. Beckham and Fuller will reportedly play significant roles in "developing the brand, including strategy and positioning."
"The House of Haig has a rich history and I'm proud to be working at the heart of a home-grown brand which has built an incredible heritage over 400 years," Beckham said of the partnership. "Working closely with Diageo, we look forward to collaborating on Haig Club, valuing and treasuring the Haig traditions while reinventing the whisky for years to come," Beckham added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best