A Peek at David Beckham’s Diary for UNICEF; Films New Whisky Commercial
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 14, 2014 2:58 PM EST
When David Beckham visited the Philippines as UNICEF Ambassador after the Asian nation was struck by the devastating Typhon Haiyan, he made sure to write his experience on a diary so he wouldn't miss out on life lessons that the tragedy has taught the world.
Former England soccer captain David Beckham (C) arrives at an evacuation centre to visit typhoon victims nearly 100 days after super Typhoon Haiyan devastated Tacloban city in central Philippines February 13, 2014. Local officials said, Beckham is one of the biggest donors to super typhoon Haiyan devastated areas in central Philippines. REUTERS/Erik De Castro
News.com.au first reported Beckham's diary during his short trip to the Philippines. According to the retired English soccer player, he didn't think twice when UNICEF asked him to pay the typhoon-stricken nation a visit. "I didn't hesitate when UNICEF offered me the opportunity to visit one of the most badly affected areas, Tacloban." Beckham recalled feeling the weight of the tragedy, but the spirit of the Filipinos was what struck him the most.
"Nothing would've prepared me for the experience I had."
"The destruction was mind blowing, but it's the resilience of the Filipinos I met that will stay with me for the rest of my life."
Read more of Beckham's diary on UNICEF's Web site.
Beckham had previously visited the Philippines as UNICEF Ambassador in December 2011. He visited a shelter for Filipino children who have been abandoned or molested.
Meanwhile, Beckham was recently spotted filming a commercial for Diageo's Haig Club Scotch Whisky at a bar in Edinburgh, Heraldscotland.com reported.
In April, Diageo announced its partnership with the soccer icon and British entrepreneur Simon Fuller, the mind behind the Idol franchise. Beckham and Fuller will reportedly play significant roles in "developing the brand, including strategy and positioning."
"The House of Haig has a rich history and I'm proud to be working at the heart of a home-grown brand which has built an incredible heritage over 400 years," Beckham said of the partnership. "Working closely with Diageo, we look forward to collaborating on Haig Club, valuing and treasuring the Haig traditions while reinventing the whisky for years to come," Beckham added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports