A Peek at David Beckham’s Diary for UNICEF; Films New Whisky Commercial
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 14, 2014 2:58 PM EST
When David Beckham visited the Philippines as UNICEF Ambassador after the Asian nation was struck by the devastating Typhon Haiyan, he made sure to write his experience on a diary so he wouldn't miss out on life lessons that the tragedy has taught the world.
Former England soccer captain David Beckham (C) arrives at an evacuation centre to visit typhoon victims nearly 100 days after super Typhoon Haiyan devastated Tacloban city in central Philippines February 13, 2014. Local officials said, Beckham is one of the biggest donors to super typhoon Haiyan devastated areas in central Philippines. REUTERS/Erik De Castro
News.com.au first reported Beckham's diary during his short trip to the Philippines. According to the retired English soccer player, he didn't think twice when UNICEF asked him to pay the typhoon-stricken nation a visit. "I didn't hesitate when UNICEF offered me the opportunity to visit one of the most badly affected areas, Tacloban." Beckham recalled feeling the weight of the tragedy, but the spirit of the Filipinos was what struck him the most.
"Nothing would've prepared me for the experience I had."
"The destruction was mind blowing, but it's the resilience of the Filipinos I met that will stay with me for the rest of my life."
Read more of Beckham's diary on UNICEF's Web site.
Beckham had previously visited the Philippines as UNICEF Ambassador in December 2011. He visited a shelter for Filipino children who have been abandoned or molested.
Meanwhile, Beckham was recently spotted filming a commercial for Diageo's Haig Club Scotch Whisky at a bar in Edinburgh, Heraldscotland.com reported.
In April, Diageo announced its partnership with the soccer icon and British entrepreneur Simon Fuller, the mind behind the Idol franchise. Beckham and Fuller will reportedly play significant roles in "developing the brand, including strategy and positioning."
"The House of Haig has a rich history and I'm proud to be working at the heart of a home-grown brand which has built an incredible heritage over 400 years," Beckham said of the partnership. "Working closely with Diageo, we look forward to collaborating on Haig Club, valuing and treasuring the Haig traditions while reinventing the whisky for years to come," Beckham added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Kate Upton And BF Detroit Tigers’ Justin Verlander Spotted Shopping Post Nude Photo Leak Scandal
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money