A Peek at David Beckham’s Diary for UNICEF; Films New Whisky Commercial
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 14, 2014 2:58 PM EST
When David Beckham visited the Philippines as UNICEF Ambassador after the Asian nation was struck by the devastating Typhon Haiyan, he made sure to write his experience on a diary so he wouldn't miss out on life lessons that the tragedy has taught the world.
Former England soccer captain David Beckham (C) arrives at an evacuation centre to visit typhoon victims nearly 100 days after super Typhoon Haiyan devastated Tacloban city in central Philippines February 13, 2014. Local officials said, Beckham is one of the biggest donors to super typhoon Haiyan devastated areas in central Philippines. REUTERS/Erik De Castro
News.com.au first reported Beckham's diary during his short trip to the Philippines. According to the retired English soccer player, he didn't think twice when UNICEF asked him to pay the typhoon-stricken nation a visit. "I didn't hesitate when UNICEF offered me the opportunity to visit one of the most badly affected areas, Tacloban." Beckham recalled feeling the weight of the tragedy, but the spirit of the Filipinos was what struck him the most.
"Nothing would've prepared me for the experience I had."
"The destruction was mind blowing, but it's the resilience of the Filipinos I met that will stay with me for the rest of my life."
Read more of Beckham's diary on UNICEF's Web site.
Beckham had previously visited the Philippines as UNICEF Ambassador in December 2011. He visited a shelter for Filipino children who have been abandoned or molested.
Meanwhile, Beckham was recently spotted filming a commercial for Diageo's Haig Club Scotch Whisky at a bar in Edinburgh, Heraldscotland.com reported.
In April, Diageo announced its partnership with the soccer icon and British entrepreneur Simon Fuller, the mind behind the Idol franchise. Beckham and Fuller will reportedly play significant roles in "developing the brand, including strategy and positioning."
"The House of Haig has a rich history and I'm proud to be working at the heart of a home-grown brand which has built an incredible heritage over 400 years," Beckham said of the partnership. "Working closely with Diageo, we look forward to collaborating on Haig Club, valuing and treasuring the Haig traditions while reinventing the whisky for years to come," Beckham added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch