Cannes 2014 'Grace of Monaco' Star Nicole Kidman Understands Backlash from Princess Grace Kelly's Kids, Forgets Own Children on Mother's Day
By Annie Dee | May 14, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Nicole Kidman arrives in Cannes on Tuesday looking like royalty. The 46 year old actress proves she still has it by wearing a tailored black dress with rhinestone accents on the collar and waving nicely to the crown. The actress is in Cannes to promote her new film "Grace of Monaco," which is quite controversial as it portrays the life of actress-turned princess Grace Kelly. The movie will open the Cannes Festival on Wednesday.
Australian actress Nicole Kidman poses on the red carpet at the Huading Awards ceremony in Macau October 7, 2013. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu
The movie has been criticized by the Palace of Monaco as a "farce." The US Hollywood distributor had also threatened to dump it. However, in the end, the movie will not only be played at Cannes, it will even open the prestigious international film festival. Kidman is happy that the movie will not be banned, but she also feel empathetic towards the children of Princess Grace. The children have claimed the movie to be based on "erroneous and dubious historical references," which is a quite understandable reaction. Kidman says so too. According to Kidman, "I know they're upset. I would be, too, if it were my mother. "
"It's a child's job to protect their parent. In that regard, I get it. I get why the children are upset," She added. "I can't say much other than that I have great respect and regard for their mother. It's not meant to be a biopic. I certainly did my best to honour everything that was real and truthful in it."
The movie she is promoting may be controversial, but Nicole Kidman's own family life and relationship with her children is no less controversial. In a recent interview with Melbourne's Gold 104.3, Nicole Kidman talked of how good her married life is with Keith Urban compare to Tom Cruise. She attributed this to their age and maturity levels. "We also got married later in life," she said, "and we kind of thought: 'We aren't going to screw this up and we are going to do everything we can to make this work.' I think when you are younger, and you are in your early twenties, and you are in a relationship and you are trying to make that work, that is a whole different thing than where we are at now."
According to Celebrity Dirty Laundry, Nicole Kidman is not only estranged from her ex-husband, Tom Cruise, but she also does not spend a lot of time with her kid Isabella and Connor because of their associations with Scientology, of which Tom Cruise is a renowned member. She also did not mention anything about them when discussing her Mother's Day plans, indicating her relationship with them is still not better.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia