Budget 2014: Three Word Budget Protest Starts on Twitter
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 14, 2014 1:46 PM EST
People turned to the social media Twitter to express their thoughts in form of protest after Australian Treasurer Joe Hockey delivered the first budget under the government of Prime Minister Tony Abbot on Tuesday night.
Competing with the unpopular budget 2014 tweets is a hashtag #threewordbudget which goes trending in Australia with as it amassed 25,862 tweets within just one day. Netizens uploaded various pictures and accompanied by three words expressing their thoughts on the cuts in the Abbot government.
Largely affected by the budget cuts are public servants, prospective university students and graduates, unemployed, sick, disabled, motorists, solo parents and families, pensioners, and senior citizens. To this, one Twitter user Lord Finnigan posted a few sets of three word tweets: "don't get sick, don't be old, don't be young, don't be unemployed, don't be students, don't have families, and don't have cars."
Another user replied to his post "Just be rich" while another user kellyB posted a photo of Paris Hilton wearing a white sleeveless printed with "Stop Being Poor."
Some people turn to the social media in a satirical tone. One Twitter users Simone posted "Conchita for Treasurer" with a picture of the Eurovision runaway winner Conchita Wurst. Ben Hoad also posted "Don't Blame Me" with an accompanying photo of the Simpsons.
Another user Margo Kingston also tweeted "Who bought Joe" with an accompanying picture of Treasurer Joe Hockey captioned "Treasurer for Sale." Still another user Interrogatives tweeted a picture of the Australian treasurer with the words "Hockey Top 10" with a list of the user's interpretation on the budget night.
Some also of the reactions on the social media focused on food. One user named Kaydee posted: "Here's your dinner" with a picture of a special fried noodles. Another user Justine Davies posted a placard which states "Work for Food."
There are also serious reactions posted on the social media. One user Paul Pitchers posted "Levy, Co-Payment, Excise." One user Gemma Munro posted "really quite unnecessary" and Martin Hirst stated "pissed off much" as both refer to the graph with a caption "horror budget delivered."
Criticisms on the unpopular budget are also very common. One user referred the budget as "Spineless, Gutless, Heartless" and another user stated "thousands more homeless."
With more and more people joining the three word budget trend in Twitter, it remains to be seen whether the social media will create impact on Australia's politics.
Read the tweets below:
* dont get sick * dont be old * dont be young * dont be unemployed * dont be students * dont have families * dont have cars #threewordbudget
— Lord Finnigans 平大王 (@Thefinnigans) May 13, 2014
@Thefinnigans Just be rich. — Block Supply Bills (@geeksrulz) May 13, 2014
— kellyB (@Velixious) May 13, 2014
Gave me a good giggle "@TheNoongarMan: @HutchisonGeoff @720perth "MiGoreng, Yum Yum" #ThreeWordBudget pic.twitter.com/sztkpKp6HN" — Kaydee (@BorreliaBuster) May 14, 2014
— Margo Kingston (@margokingston1) May 13, 2014
@HutchisonGeoff #ThreeWordBudget How about this? pic.twitter.com/TTGMUhvKNq — Justine Davies (@Justine_Davies_) May 14, 2014
— interrogativus (@interrogativus) May 13, 2014
Really quite unnecessary pic.twitter.com/FzHlFr4j7O HORROR BUDGET DELIVERED #ThreeWordBudget via @methusheilah — Gemma Munro (@gemmamunro1) May 13, 2014
— Simone (@StatesofNature) May 14, 2014
Don't blame me #threewordbudget #budget2014 pic.twitter.com/MgHEo2T6q7 — Ben Hoad (@benhoad) May 14, 2014
— Gemma Munro (@gemmamunro1) May 13, 2014
Pissed off much? Kick Tony out RT @methusheilah: #ThreeWordBudget pic.twitter.com/hhwCs3i73N HORROR BUDGET DELIVERED — Martin Hirst (@ethicalmartini) May 13, 2014
thousands more homeless #ThreeWordBudget
— Scott Ludlam (@SenatorLudlam) May 14, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- Viral Video: Children Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused At A Nursery In Romania
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation
- Canada’s Toronto City Abuzz with Claims on UFO Sightings
- Kiwis in Australia May Have Fighting Chance with Australian Treasurer Joe Hockey
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies