NFL Trades 2014: Vikings' Adrian Peterson to be Traded Soon; Dallas Cowboys Emerge as Frontrunner
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 14, 2014 1:31 PM EST
NFL Trade Rumors - The Minnesota Vikings are reportedly looking to part ways with former NFL MVP and franchise running back Adrian Peterson, according to Bleacher Report analyst Mike Freeman.
The Vikings might be ready to move on to the next chapter of their franchise as a source close to situation reported that the explosive rusher could be playing his final year with the team.
Reuters/ Adam Hunger-USA TODAY
May 8, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville) poses with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after being selected as the number thirty-two overall pick in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft to the Minnesota Vikings at Radio City Music Hall.Sports
"My person opinion," said one AFC general manager via Bleacher Report, "is this (coming) season will be Peterson's last with the Vikings. Despite the cap hit, they'll make some sort of move to get him off the roster."
Peterson, who will turn 31 years old this year, 2014, will pocket big money for the remaining years of his mega-deal with the Vikings. AP will receive $11.75 million next year and then $12.75 million in 2016. The paycheck becomes more brutal for the Vikings in 2017, where Peterson is entitled to receive $15.75 million.
There's no questioning Peterson is still an elite talent, but the Vikings are reportedly considering the possibility of moving away from the Pro Bowl running back's doghouse years.
"The Vikings are looking for ways to part with superstar runner Adrian Peterson sooner rather than later. Peterson is 29 and when backs hit 30, their production usually drops off precipitously. Backs age in dog years, and despite Peterson's adamantium bone structure, he isn't impervious to aging," Bleacher Report NFL writer Mike Freeman said.
"The contract situation is also brutal. Peterson will receive a base salary of $11.75 million in 2014, then $12.75 million in 2015. In 2017, it will climb to $15.75 million."
The Vikes recently picked an outstanding young quarterback in Teddy Bridgewater. NFL analysts believed the performance of Bridgewater in his rookie season will serve as the team's barometer, whether they are going to hold with Peterson for another season or part ways with him at the end of the 2014-15 football campaign.
Riding with the Cowboys
If the Vikings eventually decide to move on from the Peterson era, the Dallas Cowboys are expected to be one of the football teams pushing hard for the service of the running back.
According to Sports World Report, the Cowboys are poised to land a high-caliber running back like Peterson because DeMarco Murray is set to hit the free-agency market after this season. Moreover, Peterson didn't rule out a possible return in Texas.
"The Dallas Cowboys are an even better option. DeMarco Murray will be gone and Peterson himself has said a return to Texas is something he is in favor of," Sports World report stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide