NFL Trades 2014: Vikings' Adrian Peterson to be Traded Soon; Dallas Cowboys Emerge as Frontrunner
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 14, 2014 1:31 PM EST
NFL Trade Rumors - The Minnesota Vikings are reportedly looking to part ways with former NFL MVP and franchise running back Adrian Peterson, according to Bleacher Report analyst Mike Freeman.
The Vikings might be ready to move on to the next chapter of their franchise as a source close to situation reported that the explosive rusher could be playing his final year with the team.
Reuters/ Adam Hunger-USA TODAY
May 8, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville) poses with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after being selected as the number thirty-two overall pick in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft to the Minnesota Vikings at Radio City Music Hall.Sports
"My person opinion," said one AFC general manager via Bleacher Report, "is this (coming) season will be Peterson's last with the Vikings. Despite the cap hit, they'll make some sort of move to get him off the roster."
Peterson, who will turn 31 years old this year, 2014, will pocket big money for the remaining years of his mega-deal with the Vikings. AP will receive $11.75 million next year and then $12.75 million in 2016. The paycheck becomes more brutal for the Vikings in 2017, where Peterson is entitled to receive $15.75 million.
There's no questioning Peterson is still an elite talent, but the Vikings are reportedly considering the possibility of moving away from the Pro Bowl running back's doghouse years.
"The Vikings are looking for ways to part with superstar runner Adrian Peterson sooner rather than later. Peterson is 29 and when backs hit 30, their production usually drops off precipitously. Backs age in dog years, and despite Peterson's adamantium bone structure, he isn't impervious to aging," Bleacher Report NFL writer Mike Freeman said.
"The contract situation is also brutal. Peterson will receive a base salary of $11.75 million in 2014, then $12.75 million in 2015. In 2017, it will climb to $15.75 million."
The Vikes recently picked an outstanding young quarterback in Teddy Bridgewater. NFL analysts believed the performance of Bridgewater in his rookie season will serve as the team's barometer, whether they are going to hold with Peterson for another season or part ways with him at the end of the 2014-15 football campaign.
Riding with the Cowboys
If the Vikings eventually decide to move on from the Peterson era, the Dallas Cowboys are expected to be one of the football teams pushing hard for the service of the running back.
According to Sports World Report, the Cowboys are poised to land a high-caliber running back like Peterson because DeMarco Murray is set to hit the free-agency market after this season. Moreover, Peterson didn't rule out a possible return in Texas.
"The Dallas Cowboys are an even better option. DeMarco Murray will be gone and Peterson himself has said a return to Texas is something he is in favor of," Sports World report stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies