NFL Trades 2014: Vikings' Adrian Peterson to be Traded Soon; Dallas Cowboys Emerge as Frontrunner
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 14, 2014 1:31 PM EST
NFL Trade Rumors - The Minnesota Vikings are reportedly looking to part ways with former NFL MVP and franchise running back Adrian Peterson, according to Bleacher Report analyst Mike Freeman.
The Vikings might be ready to move on to the next chapter of their franchise as a source close to situation reported that the explosive rusher could be playing his final year with the team.
Reuters/ Adam Hunger-USA TODAY
May 8, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville) poses with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after being selected as the number thirty-two overall pick in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft to the Minnesota Vikings at Radio City Music Hall.Sports
"My person opinion," said one AFC general manager via Bleacher Report, "is this (coming) season will be Peterson's last with the Vikings. Despite the cap hit, they'll make some sort of move to get him off the roster."
Peterson, who will turn 31 years old this year, 2014, will pocket big money for the remaining years of his mega-deal with the Vikings. AP will receive $11.75 million next year and then $12.75 million in 2016. The paycheck becomes more brutal for the Vikings in 2017, where Peterson is entitled to receive $15.75 million.
There's no questioning Peterson is still an elite talent, but the Vikings are reportedly considering the possibility of moving away from the Pro Bowl running back's doghouse years.
"The Vikings are looking for ways to part with superstar runner Adrian Peterson sooner rather than later. Peterson is 29 and when backs hit 30, their production usually drops off precipitously. Backs age in dog years, and despite Peterson's adamantium bone structure, he isn't impervious to aging," Bleacher Report NFL writer Mike Freeman said.
"The contract situation is also brutal. Peterson will receive a base salary of $11.75 million in 2014, then $12.75 million in 2015. In 2017, it will climb to $15.75 million."
The Vikes recently picked an outstanding young quarterback in Teddy Bridgewater. NFL analysts believed the performance of Bridgewater in his rookie season will serve as the team's barometer, whether they are going to hold with Peterson for another season or part ways with him at the end of the 2014-15 football campaign.
Riding with the Cowboys
If the Vikings eventually decide to move on from the Peterson era, the Dallas Cowboys are expected to be one of the football teams pushing hard for the service of the running back.
According to Sports World Report, the Cowboys are poised to land a high-caliber running back like Peterson because DeMarco Murray is set to hit the free-agency market after this season. Moreover, Peterson didn't rule out a possible return in Texas.
"The Dallas Cowboys are an even better option. DeMarco Murray will be gone and Peterson himself has said a return to Texas is something he is in favor of," Sports World report stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen