Leila McKinnon Compares Husband David Gyngell and James Packer’s Brawl with Solange and Jay Z’s Elevator Fight
By Anne Lu | May 14, 2014 12:42 PM EST
Leila McKinnon has compared her husband David Gyngell’s public fistfight with James Packer to Solange Knowles and Jay Z’s elevator brawl.
The news presenter revealed on Twitter that she felt an affinity with Beyonce and her warring sister and husband after their private fight became public online.
Jay Z and Beyonce Knowles arrive at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York, May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
Ok so they're much better dressed and a little more discreet but I feel a kinship with Beyonce, Solange, and Jay-Z today.
— leilamckinnon (@leilamckinnon) May 13, 2014
McKinnon was of course talking about the Bondi Beach brawl involving her husband, Nine Network CEO David Gyngell, and his childhood friend, billionaire James Packer.
Gyngell and Packer were photographed wrestling with each other outside Packer’s home earlier in May. According to witnesses, they only stopped fighting after they were forcibly separated by their bodyguards.
Both parties refused to comment on the incident, only saying in a joint statement, “We have been friends for 35 years and still are. In that time we have had our fair share of ups and downs. We respect each other and neither of us will be commenting further.”
They were issued with criminal infringement notices for offensive behaviour. If uncontested, they face $500 fine.
Unlike the Gyngell-Packer incident, Solange and Jay Z’s scuffle happened in a private space. No one outside their circle would have known about it if not for the leak of the security footage of The Standard Hotel.
Nevertheless, there are several similarities between the Gyngell-Packer brawl and the Solange-Jay Z attack.
Like the two Australians who are among the richest in the country, Solange and Jay Z are also not doing badly in the financial department.
Jay Z and Beyonce are named one of the wealthiest couples in the world, according to Forbes. And with an older sister like Beyonce,
Solange and Jay Z also have been keeping mum about their fight, not giving any explanation for it. Although if their actions are any indication, they are perhaps saying that their fight has also caused the rift between the sisters.
Solange has deleted all photos of Beyonce on her Instagram account, save for one photo that was posted 15 months ago, while Beyonce went with Jay Z at the NBA game of the Brooklyn Nets and Miami Heat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan