Leila McKinnon Compares Husband David Gyngell and James Packer’s Brawl with Solange and Jay Z’s Elevator Fight
By Anne Lu | May 14, 2014 12:42 PM EST
Leila McKinnon has compared her husband David Gyngell’s public fistfight with James Packer to Solange Knowles and Jay Z’s elevator brawl.
The news presenter revealed on Twitter that she felt an affinity with Beyonce and her warring sister and husband after their private fight became public online.
Jay Z and Beyonce Knowles arrive at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York, May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
Ok so they're much better dressed and a little more discreet but I feel a kinship with Beyonce, Solange, and Jay-Z today.
— leilamckinnon (@leilamckinnon) May 13, 2014
McKinnon was of course talking about the Bondi Beach brawl involving her husband, Nine Network CEO David Gyngell, and his childhood friend, billionaire James Packer.
Gyngell and Packer were photographed wrestling with each other outside Packer’s home earlier in May. According to witnesses, they only stopped fighting after they were forcibly separated by their bodyguards.
Both parties refused to comment on the incident, only saying in a joint statement, “We have been friends for 35 years and still are. In that time we have had our fair share of ups and downs. We respect each other and neither of us will be commenting further.”
They were issued with criminal infringement notices for offensive behaviour. If uncontested, they face $500 fine.
Unlike the Gyngell-Packer incident, Solange and Jay Z’s scuffle happened in a private space. No one outside their circle would have known about it if not for the leak of the security footage of The Standard Hotel.
Nevertheless, there are several similarities between the Gyngell-Packer brawl and the Solange-Jay Z attack.
Like the two Australians who are among the richest in the country, Solange and Jay Z are also not doing badly in the financial department.
Jay Z and Beyonce are named one of the wealthiest couples in the world, according to Forbes. And with an older sister like Beyonce,
Solange and Jay Z also have been keeping mum about their fight, not giving any explanation for it. Although if their actions are any indication, they are perhaps saying that their fight has also caused the rift between the sisters.
Solange has deleted all photos of Beyonce on her Instagram account, save for one photo that was posted 15 months ago, while Beyonce went with Jay Z at the NBA game of the Brooklyn Nets and Miami Heat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage