Panama Hit By Strong 6.8 Magnitude Earthquake; Residents Warned to Expect Aftershocks; No Tsunami Threat
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 14, 2014 12:24 PM EST
An earthquake with a 6.8 magnitude strength struck Panama on Tuesday.
"It was a pretty strong movement and there were several aftershocks, but in the monitoring we've carried out until now, we have not found material damage or injured people," Arturo Alvarado, national civil defense director, told AP.
A view of a damaged road to Alto Hospicio commune after an earthquake and tsunami hit the northern port of Iquique April 2, 2014. Chilean authorities on Wednesday were assessing the damage from a massive earthquake that struck off the northern coast, causing a small tsunami, but the impact appeared to be mostly limited. The 8.2 magnitude quake that shook northern Chile on Tuesday killed six people and triggered a tsunami with 2-meter (7-foot) waves. REUTERS/Ivan Alvarado
According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the powerful temblor struck 82 miles (132 km) south of David, Panama; 111 miles (178 km) WSW of Santiago, Panama; 144 miles (232 km) south of Bocas del Toro, Panama; and, 223 miles (359 km) SSE of San Jose, Costa Rica.
An official from Panama's emergency services told Reuters items sold on grocery stores had fallen off shelves in parts of Chiriqui. No immediate reports of serious damage or casualties were heard in the area.
Portal earthquake.com, citing Panama TV, said many walls had collapsed in the western part of the country. A water pipe likewise broke in San Cristobal which flooded a number of houses. In Chiriqui, the facade from the National Bank of Panama was damaged.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu said the earthquake does not pose a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami. There is likewise no tsunami threat to Hawaii.
The U.S. Geological Survey urged residents to remain alert and calm for expected aftershocks which are usually less violent than the main quake. However, these can be strong enough to do additional damage to weak structures. Aftershocks can occur immediately in the first hours after the quake.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes