Panama Hit By Strong 6.8 Magnitude Earthquake; Residents Warned to Expect Aftershocks; No Tsunami Threat
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 14, 2014 12:24 PM EST
An earthquake with a 6.8 magnitude strength struck Panama on Tuesday.
"It was a pretty strong movement and there were several aftershocks, but in the monitoring we've carried out until now, we have not found material damage or injured people," Arturo Alvarado, national civil defense director, told AP.
A view of a damaged road to Alto Hospicio commune after an earthquake and tsunami hit the northern port of Iquique April 2, 2014. Chilean authorities on Wednesday were assessing the damage from a massive earthquake that struck off the northern coast, causing a small tsunami, but the impact appeared to be mostly limited. The 8.2 magnitude quake that shook northern Chile on Tuesday killed six people and triggered a tsunami with 2-meter (7-foot) waves. REUTERS/Ivan Alvarado
According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the powerful temblor struck 82 miles (132 km) south of David, Panama; 111 miles (178 km) WSW of Santiago, Panama; 144 miles (232 km) south of Bocas del Toro, Panama; and, 223 miles (359 km) SSE of San Jose, Costa Rica.
An official from Panama's emergency services told Reuters items sold on grocery stores had fallen off shelves in parts of Chiriqui. No immediate reports of serious damage or casualties were heard in the area.
Portal earthquake.com, citing Panama TV, said many walls had collapsed in the western part of the country. A water pipe likewise broke in San Cristobal which flooded a number of houses. In Chiriqui, the facade from the National Bank of Panama was damaged.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu said the earthquake does not pose a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami. There is likewise no tsunami threat to Hawaii.
The U.S. Geological Survey urged residents to remain alert and calm for expected aftershocks which are usually less violent than the main quake. However, these can be strong enough to do additional damage to weak structures. Aftershocks can occur immediately in the first hours after the quake.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales