Novak Djokovic ‘Secretive’ on Fiancée Jelena Ristic’s Due Date
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 14, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Novak Djokovic remains secretive about his baby's expected due date.
Speaking at the Internazionale BNL d'Italia as reported by Atpworldtour.com, Djokovic kept mum on the topic of Jelena's pregnancy. "I have been told not to say too much," said Djokovic. According to the second-ranked male tennis athlete, he cannot reveal the exact date when will their little arrive, but he said that "it will happen at the end of the year."
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Djokovic announced Jelena's pregnancy on social media on April 24.
Djokovic last competed in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters. He reached the semifinals but lost to Roger Federer. After the Monte Carlo tournament, he needed to take a break due to a wrist injury and was forced not to participate in the Madrid Open. Djokovic said that it was a "big decision" for him not to play in Madrid but he carefully weighed things out. He didn't want to compromise the risk of not being able to play in future tournaments just to be able to compete in one tournament.
Djokovic's current tournament is the Internazionale BNL d'Italia or the Italian Open. He was seeded second and off to a promising start. Djokovic defeated Radek Stepanek on May 13 to reach the third round of the tournament.
"It was one of the most difficult conditions I've played in my life," Djokovic said on his official website. "Playing when its windy on the court, especially on clay, the clay gets in your eyes," he added. "It was difficult to get any kind of rhythm."
Regardless of what the court condition was, Djokovic managed to beat Stepanek in two straight sets with the final score of 6-3, 7-5.
"It was a little bit frustrating when I dropped serve twice in the second set, but the positive is that I managed to stay mentally tough until the end and win."
Djkovic's next match will be against German Philipp Kohlschreiber on May 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June