Novak Djokovic ‘Secretive’ on Fiancée Jelena Ristic’s Due Date
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 14, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Novak Djokovic remains secretive about his baby's expected due date.
Speaking at the Internazionale BNL d'Italia as reported by Atpworldtour.com, Djokovic kept mum on the topic of Jelena's pregnancy. "I have been told not to say too much," said Djokovic. According to the second-ranked male tennis athlete, he cannot reveal the exact date when will their little arrive, but he said that "it will happen at the end of the year."
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Djokovic announced Jelena's pregnancy on social media on April 24.
Djokovic last competed in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters. He reached the semifinals but lost to Roger Federer. After the Monte Carlo tournament, he needed to take a break due to a wrist injury and was forced not to participate in the Madrid Open. Djokovic said that it was a "big decision" for him not to play in Madrid but he carefully weighed things out. He didn't want to compromise the risk of not being able to play in future tournaments just to be able to compete in one tournament.
Djokovic's current tournament is the Internazionale BNL d'Italia or the Italian Open. He was seeded second and off to a promising start. Djokovic defeated Radek Stepanek on May 13 to reach the third round of the tournament.
"It was one of the most difficult conditions I've played in my life," Djokovic said on his official website. "Playing when its windy on the court, especially on clay, the clay gets in your eyes," he added. "It was difficult to get any kind of rhythm."
Regardless of what the court condition was, Djokovic managed to beat Stepanek in two straight sets with the final score of 6-3, 7-5.
"It was a little bit frustrating when I dropped serve twice in the second set, but the positive is that I managed to stay mentally tough until the end and win."
Djkovic's next match will be against German Philipp Kohlschreiber on May 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports