Novak Djokovic ‘Secretive’ on Fiancée Jelena Ristic’s Due Date
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 14, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Novak Djokovic remains secretive about his baby's expected due date.
Speaking at the Internazionale BNL d'Italia as reported by Atpworldtour.com, Djokovic kept mum on the topic of Jelena's pregnancy. "I have been told not to say too much," said Djokovic. According to the second-ranked male tennis athlete, he cannot reveal the exact date when will their little arrive, but he said that "it will happen at the end of the year."
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Djokovic announced Jelena's pregnancy on social media on April 24.
Djokovic last competed in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters. He reached the semifinals but lost to Roger Federer. After the Monte Carlo tournament, he needed to take a break due to a wrist injury and was forced not to participate in the Madrid Open. Djokovic said that it was a "big decision" for him not to play in Madrid but he carefully weighed things out. He didn't want to compromise the risk of not being able to play in future tournaments just to be able to compete in one tournament.
Djokovic's current tournament is the Internazionale BNL d'Italia or the Italian Open. He was seeded second and off to a promising start. Djokovic defeated Radek Stepanek on May 13 to reach the third round of the tournament.
"It was one of the most difficult conditions I've played in my life," Djokovic said on his official website. "Playing when its windy on the court, especially on clay, the clay gets in your eyes," he added. "It was difficult to get any kind of rhythm."
Regardless of what the court condition was, Djokovic managed to beat Stepanek in two straight sets with the final score of 6-3, 7-5.
"It was a little bit frustrating when I dropped serve twice in the second set, but the positive is that I managed to stay mentally tough until the end and win."
Djkovic's next match will be against German Philipp Kohlschreiber on May 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Kate Upton And BF Detroit Tigers’ Justin Verlander Spotted Shopping Post Nude Photo Leak Scandal
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money