Novak Djokovic ‘Secretive’ on Fiancée Jelena Ristic’s Due Date
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 14, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Novak Djokovic remains secretive about his baby's expected due date.
Speaking at the Internazionale BNL d'Italia as reported by Atpworldtour.com, Djokovic kept mum on the topic of Jelena's pregnancy. "I have been told not to say too much," said Djokovic. According to the second-ranked male tennis athlete, he cannot reveal the exact date when will their little arrive, but he said that "it will happen at the end of the year."
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Djokovic announced Jelena's pregnancy on social media on April 24.
Djokovic last competed in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters. He reached the semifinals but lost to Roger Federer. After the Monte Carlo tournament, he needed to take a break due to a wrist injury and was forced not to participate in the Madrid Open. Djokovic said that it was a "big decision" for him not to play in Madrid but he carefully weighed things out. He didn't want to compromise the risk of not being able to play in future tournaments just to be able to compete in one tournament.
Djokovic's current tournament is the Internazionale BNL d'Italia or the Italian Open. He was seeded second and off to a promising start. Djokovic defeated Radek Stepanek on May 13 to reach the third round of the tournament.
"It was one of the most difficult conditions I've played in my life," Djokovic said on his official website. "Playing when its windy on the court, especially on clay, the clay gets in your eyes," he added. "It was difficult to get any kind of rhythm."
Regardless of what the court condition was, Djokovic managed to beat Stepanek in two straight sets with the final score of 6-3, 7-5.
"It was a little bit frustrating when I dropped serve twice in the second set, but the positive is that I managed to stay mentally tough until the end and win."
Djkovic's next match will be against German Philipp Kohlschreiber on May 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies