Novak Djokovic ‘Secretive’ on Fiancée Jelena Ristic’s Due Date
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 14, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Novak Djokovic remains secretive about his baby's expected due date.
Speaking at the Internazionale BNL d'Italia as reported by Atpworldtour.com, Djokovic kept mum on the topic of Jelena's pregnancy. "I have been told not to say too much," said Djokovic. According to the second-ranked male tennis athlete, he cannot reveal the exact date when will their little arrive, but he said that "it will happen at the end of the year."
Novak Djokovic of Serbia reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
Djokovic announced Jelena's pregnancy on social media on April 24.
Djokovic last competed in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters. He reached the semifinals but lost to Roger Federer. After the Monte Carlo tournament, he needed to take a break due to a wrist injury and was forced not to participate in the Madrid Open. Djokovic said that it was a "big decision" for him not to play in Madrid but he carefully weighed things out. He didn't want to compromise the risk of not being able to play in future tournaments just to be able to compete in one tournament.
Djokovic's current tournament is the Internazionale BNL d'Italia or the Italian Open. He was seeded second and off to a promising start. Djokovic defeated Radek Stepanek on May 13 to reach the third round of the tournament.
"It was one of the most difficult conditions I've played in my life," Djokovic said on his official website. "Playing when its windy on the court, especially on clay, the clay gets in your eyes," he added. "It was difficult to get any kind of rhythm."
Regardless of what the court condition was, Djokovic managed to beat Stepanek in two straight sets with the final score of 6-3, 7-5.
"It was a little bit frustrating when I dropped serve twice in the second set, but the positive is that I managed to stay mentally tough until the end and win."
Djkovic's next match will be against German Philipp Kohlschreiber on May 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand