‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Zaachariah Fielding of ZK Says He Doesn’t Need to Apologise for Snubbing Kylie Minogue
By Anne Lu | May 14, 2014 6:44 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” coach Kylie Minogue had an awkward moment on the show after contestant Zaachariah Fielding of the R&B duo ZK was caught on camera snubbing her as she opened her arms for a hug. Fielding claimed the snub was unintentional, and that he doesn’t need to apologise.
On Monday night’s show, Fielding and his friend Kristal West performed a soulful version of Justin Bieber’s “As Long As You Love Me” during the blind audition. The coaches – Minogue, will.i.am, Ricky Martin and Joel Madden – were impressed by the pair, although only will.i.am turned his seat at the last minute, which means that they would be joining his team.
“I love you, will! You’re the bomb, man,” West excitedly declared after seeing that the Black Eyed Peas star chose them.
The coaches then reached out to the young Aboriginal singers for a congratulatory hug. The pair, which call themselves together as ZK, came down from stage to do exactly that, but it appeared that they skipped out on Minogue.
Fielding was seen on camera hugging Will, but then ignoring the waiting Minogue as he made his way over to Martin and Madden. Minogue looked a bit hurt and dejected from Fielding’s perhaps unintentional snub.
Viewers who saw the awkward exchange took to Twitter to comment.
— Rinah (@rinahxTMV) May 13, 2014
Why did Z from ZK walk past Kylie and didn,t shake her hand??? #thevoice #ZK #Kylie — Leontine Stolk (@leontine78) May 12, 2014
— Cougs (@Hails1987) May 13, 2014
West was quick to apologise for not hugging Minogue, but because her exchange with the coaches were not shown on camera, the viewers did not see if she had snubbed the blonde coach as well.
@amplified I didn't do it intentionally. I was totally star struck by Will! I love @kylieminogue...#mybad. Kristal. — ZK (@ZKfresh) May 12, 2014
Fielding said he was unaware that he skipped hugging Minogue, and was embarrassed when he saw the footage.
“I look back at the footage and it did really embarrass me, but I was just so excited to see Ricky Martin,” he was quoted by the Daily Mail as explaining.
He refused to say sorry to Minogue, though.
“I was graceful to all the judges – I’ve done nothing wrong to apologise for.”
He added, “I love Kylie, she’s so beautiful… seeing her in person, she is so small.”
But despite his love for the diminutive international singer, Fielding admitted that he isn’t familiar with Minogue’s music.
“I don’t know any of her songs, but my cousins love her.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu