Viral Video: Conchita Wurst - Rise Like a Phoenix (Austria) 2014 LIVE Eurovision Grand Final [Watch YouTube Clip]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 13, 2014 6:24 PM EST
It seems that people across the world still can't get over the final performance of the Eurovision Grand Final runaway winner Conchita Wurst. Her majestic rendition for the James Bond-like theme Rise Like a Phoenix was uploaded to YouTube and has now amassed over 5.1 million views in just a matter of three days.
The controversial drag queen whose real name is whose real name is Tom Neuwirth is mostly known for her trimmed beard, brunette hair, and glittering get-ups. She represented Austria in the annual competition which was broadcasted since 1956. The competition which covers across the European continent chose the winners based on the judging panel and viewer votes.
Her triumph at the Eurovision was Austria's first taste of victory in 49 years. Throughout her feat, the 25-year-old had earned widespread support across the continent with the exception of Russia and Belarus.
According to an article from Time Magazine, British-born Holland citizens David Christley and his partner expressed their support to Ms. Wurst by wearing postcards tucked into their neon orange top hats. A few moments before the competition, Mr. Christley stated: "We love her! It would be such a slap in the face to Russia if she won."
The couple was just one of the 11,000 strong audiences who flocked to Copenhagen, Denmark for what is mostly dubbed as Gay World Cup event. At the same time, an estimated 180 million people in 45 countries watched the event in their own television sets.
The bearded lady secured 290 points to victory during the contest. Upon the announcement of the winner, Ms. Wurst shouted "We are unity and we are unstoppable" while holding the Eurovision trophy.
After the announcement of winner, Twitter went overload to 47,136 tweets per minute amassing a total of 5,384,678 tweets.
In an article from Daily Mail, Ms. Wurst spoke at the news conference after the event. She stated: "For me, my dream came true. But for our society, it just showed me that there are people out there who want to go into the future and go on, you know, not stepping back or thinking in the past.'
She had already gone home to Vienna on Sunday and was met with hero's welcome as fans and well-wishers alike waved banners at the Vienna International Airport.
For those who missed Conchita Wurst's winning performance at the Eurovision grand finals, watch the video on YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage