Viral Video: Conchita Wurst - Rise Like a Phoenix (Austria) 2014 LIVE Eurovision Grand Final [Watch YouTube Clip]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 13, 2014 6:24 PM EST
It seems that people across the world still can't get over the final performance of the Eurovision Grand Final runaway winner Conchita Wurst. Her majestic rendition for the James Bond-like theme Rise Like a Phoenix was uploaded to YouTube and has now amassed over 5.1 million views in just a matter of three days.
The controversial drag queen whose real name is whose real name is Tom Neuwirth is mostly known for her trimmed beard, brunette hair, and glittering get-ups. She represented Austria in the annual competition which was broadcasted since 1956. The competition which covers across the European continent chose the winners based on the judging panel and viewer votes.
Her triumph at the Eurovision was Austria's first taste of victory in 49 years. Throughout her feat, the 25-year-old had earned widespread support across the continent with the exception of Russia and Belarus.
According to an article from Time Magazine, British-born Holland citizens David Christley and his partner expressed their support to Ms. Wurst by wearing postcards tucked into their neon orange top hats. A few moments before the competition, Mr. Christley stated: "We love her! It would be such a slap in the face to Russia if she won."
The couple was just one of the 11,000 strong audiences who flocked to Copenhagen, Denmark for what is mostly dubbed as Gay World Cup event. At the same time, an estimated 180 million people in 45 countries watched the event in their own television sets.
The bearded lady secured 290 points to victory during the contest. Upon the announcement of the winner, Ms. Wurst shouted "We are unity and we are unstoppable" while holding the Eurovision trophy.
After the announcement of winner, Twitter went overload to 47,136 tweets per minute amassing a total of 5,384,678 tweets.
In an article from Daily Mail, Ms. Wurst spoke at the news conference after the event. She stated: "For me, my dream came true. But for our society, it just showed me that there are people out there who want to go into the future and go on, you know, not stepping back or thinking in the past.'
She had already gone home to Vienna on Sunday and was met with hero's welcome as fans and well-wishers alike waved banners at the Vienna International Airport.
For those who missed Conchita Wurst's winning performance at the Eurovision grand finals, watch the video on YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch