‘Neighbors’ Star Seth Rogen Gets New Label; Time Dubs Actor the ‘Stoner King of Comedy’
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | May 13, 2014 4:55 PM EST
"Neighbors" reportedly made a staggering debut at the weekend box office as the new comedy movie opens to $51.1 million, beating "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and giving Seth Rogen a new label to be proud of as Time dubs him the "stoner king of comedy" in a new report.
Actor Seth Rogen attends the American Comedy Awards in New York, April 26, 2014.
Zac Efron’s ‘Neighbors’ to Make a Name on the Box Office; Report Expects Spider-Man to Face New Villain [WATCH VIDEO]
According to Box Office Mojo, the Neighbors movie, starring Seth Rogen, Zac Efron and Rose Byrne is currently playing at 3,279 locations around the globe with the international name "Bad Neighbours," and is ahead of major original R-rated comedy movies, including "The Hangover," "The Heat" and "21 Jump Street."
As previously reported, "Neighbors" topped the weekend box office, pulling down Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy to no. 2 spot with a 59 percent decline in earnings.
The success that the "Neighbors" movie is getting has been apparent, giving its stars Zac Efron and Seth Rogen a boost in their acting careers. According to Time, Rogen is showing that he is the "frontrunner" among comedy stars who veer away from the "usual tricks" in comedy.
"Sporting a crew cut and a scowl, Seth Rogen assumes the voice of a farmer who dreams of planting 'the finest reefer the Midwest has ever grown,'" Time reported.
"That's why when some idiot teacher tells me I'm not livin' up to my potential, I just smile, 'cause I know I am," Seth Rogen told Time.
According to the report, Rogen is now the "stoner king of comedy" due to his "special gift" to audiences in which he portrays a "sweet, unthreatening geniality."
Time also added that though Seth Rogen may shy away from it, the 32-year-old comedy actor has an "essential niceness."
Meanwhile, Zach Efron, who has been through difficult times during which reports and rumours of his drinking problem and battle with drugs dominated the headlines, has made his comeback in the Neighbors movie with success.
The commentary added that the 26-year-old actor "studiously stayed away, choosing less to apologize for any youthful misdeeds."
"Neighbors" hit theatres on May 9 in the US and May 8 in Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 15, 2014: Liam Confronts Quinn About Her Secret Regarding Paris [WATCH VIDEO]
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown