‘Neighbors’ Star Seth Rogen Gets New Label; Time Dubs Actor the ‘Stoner King of Comedy’
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | May 13, 2014 4:55 PM EST
"Neighbors" reportedly made a staggering debut at the weekend box office as the new comedy movie opens to $51.1 million, beating "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and giving Seth Rogen a new label to be proud of as Time dubs him the "stoner king of comedy" in a new report.
Actor Seth Rogen attends the American Comedy Awards in New York, April 26, 2014.
Zac Efron’s ‘Neighbors’ to Make a Name on the Box Office; Report Expects Spider-Man to Face New Villain [WATCH VIDEO]
According to Box Office Mojo, the Neighbors movie, starring Seth Rogen, Zac Efron and Rose Byrne is currently playing at 3,279 locations around the globe with the international name "Bad Neighbours," and is ahead of major original R-rated comedy movies, including "The Hangover," "The Heat" and "21 Jump Street."
As previously reported, "Neighbors" topped the weekend box office, pulling down Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy to no. 2 spot with a 59 percent decline in earnings.
The success that the "Neighbors" movie is getting has been apparent, giving its stars Zac Efron and Seth Rogen a boost in their acting careers. According to Time, Rogen is showing that he is the "frontrunner" among comedy stars who veer away from the "usual tricks" in comedy.
"Sporting a crew cut and a scowl, Seth Rogen assumes the voice of a farmer who dreams of planting 'the finest reefer the Midwest has ever grown,'" Time reported.
"That's why when some idiot teacher tells me I'm not livin' up to my potential, I just smile, 'cause I know I am," Seth Rogen told Time.
According to the report, Rogen is now the "stoner king of comedy" due to his "special gift" to audiences in which he portrays a "sweet, unthreatening geniality."
Time also added that though Seth Rogen may shy away from it, the 32-year-old comedy actor has an "essential niceness."
Meanwhile, Zach Efron, who has been through difficult times during which reports and rumours of his drinking problem and battle with drugs dominated the headlines, has made his comeback in the Neighbors movie with success.
The commentary added that the 26-year-old actor "studiously stayed away, choosing less to apologize for any youthful misdeeds."
"Neighbors" hit theatres on May 9 in the US and May 8 in Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic's Beckett To See Nathan Fillion's Rick 'On A Sugar Rush' Again [REVIEW]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery