‘Neighbors’ Star Seth Rogen Gets New Label; Time Dubs Actor the ‘Stoner King of Comedy’
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | May 13, 2014 4:55 PM EST
"Neighbors" reportedly made a staggering debut at the weekend box office as the new comedy movie opens to $51.1 million, beating "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and giving Seth Rogen a new label to be proud of as Time dubs him the "stoner king of comedy" in a new report.
Actor Seth Rogen attends the American Comedy Awards in New York, April 26, 2014.
Zac Efron’s ‘Neighbors’ to Make a Name on the Box Office; Report Expects Spider-Man to Face New Villain [WATCH VIDEO]
According to Box Office Mojo, the Neighbors movie, starring Seth Rogen, Zac Efron and Rose Byrne is currently playing at 3,279 locations around the globe with the international name "Bad Neighbours," and is ahead of major original R-rated comedy movies, including "The Hangover," "The Heat" and "21 Jump Street."
As previously reported, "Neighbors" topped the weekend box office, pulling down Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy to no. 2 spot with a 59 percent decline in earnings.
The success that the "Neighbors" movie is getting has been apparent, giving its stars Zac Efron and Seth Rogen a boost in their acting careers. According to Time, Rogen is showing that he is the "frontrunner" among comedy stars who veer away from the "usual tricks" in comedy.
"Sporting a crew cut and a scowl, Seth Rogen assumes the voice of a farmer who dreams of planting 'the finest reefer the Midwest has ever grown,'" Time reported.
"That's why when some idiot teacher tells me I'm not livin' up to my potential, I just smile, 'cause I know I am," Seth Rogen told Time.
According to the report, Rogen is now the "stoner king of comedy" due to his "special gift" to audiences in which he portrays a "sweet, unthreatening geniality."
Time also added that though Seth Rogen may shy away from it, the 32-year-old comedy actor has an "essential niceness."
Meanwhile, Zach Efron, who has been through difficult times during which reports and rumours of his drinking problem and battle with drugs dominated the headlines, has made his comeback in the Neighbors movie with success.
The commentary added that the 26-year-old actor "studiously stayed away, choosing less to apologize for any youthful misdeeds."
"Neighbors" hit theatres on May 9 in the US and May 8 in Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy