'French Paradox' And Red Wine Debunked by Recent University Study
By Silvana Peters | May 13, 2014 4:48 PM EST
An employee holds a bottle of cava at a wine shop in Alella, near Barcelona October 30, 2013. REUTERS/Albert Gea
For years it was believed that red wine has several health benefits due to antioxidant resveratrol, which has been cited as a possible explanation for the 'French Paradox."
But a recent research released by the John Hopkins University indicated resveratrol present in chocolates and red wine is not responsible for improving longevity. According to the new study published in the JAMA Internal Medicine Journal Monday, "Resveratrol levels achieved with a Western diet did not have a substantial influence on health status and mortality risk."
The study sought to determine whether resveratrol levels achieved with diet are associated with inflammation, cancer, cardiovascular disease and mortality in humans.
Researchers analyzed 783 adults in Italy aged 65 and older for 9 years. Experts then concluded that resveratrol was not seen to have a substantial influence on heart disease, cancer, inflammation or longevity.
"We looked at the relationship between resveratrol levels and many health outcomes that are thought to be related to resveratrol, such as cancer and heart disease and lifespan. And we found no relationship," quoted CNN of Dr. Richard Semba, study author and professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
"The thinking was that certain foods are good for you because they contain resveratrol. We didn't find that at all," Semba cited.
"It's just that the benefits, if they are there, must come from other polyphenols or substances found in those foodstuffs." he said.
Nutrition Researcher Teresa Fung of Boston's Simmons College told Reuters the results of the study were not surprising. Grapes, red wine and chocolates are not health hazards that can be consumed as part of a diet as long as it's done in moderation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighters Have Found A Bone In Mars Amidst Reports of UFO Sighting[Watch Video]
- Alien Base Found on Moon: UFO Enthusiasts Celebrate [Watch Video]
- Facts on ALS disease: symptoms, causes and treatment
- HIV Cure: Shock-and-Kill Method Unlocks 'No Remission' Possibility for Future Treatments
- Top UFO Sightings Ever [Watch Videos]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists