"Constantine" Takes 'Hellblazer' Comics Into NBC's TV Series, Matt Ryan Gives Justice To John Constantine
By Tanya Diente | May 13, 2014 4:41 PM EST
John Constantine is back!
DC's famous demon hunter is taking his demon hunting skills to television. NBC has released its first trailer for the "Hellblazer" adaptation entitled "Constantine." The series follows John Constantine's battle against a hidden evil uprising up in the human world.
The first trailer introduces viewers to John Constantine, played by Welsh actor Matt Ryan ("Criminal Minds"). Constantine is a demon hunter and master of all things paranormal. His determination to live his life of helping others behind ended when he meets Liv, played by Lucy Griffiths ("True Blood"). Liv is a young woman who is targeted by demons and she also happens to be the daughter of one of Constantine's oldest friends. She and Constantine become demon-hunting partners as Liv also has the second sight to see evil spirits and demons surrounding the human world.
Viewers also get a peek at former "Lost" star Harold Perrineau who plays the role of Manny, an angel assigned with the task of watching over Constantine, and other demon businesses while Constantine tries to help Liv understand her developing second sight.
Scroll down for "Constantine" Trailer
The "Constantine" trailer, which runs just over three minutes, also gives viewers a glimpse of the dark theme in the series.
According to The Verge, the series looks to be creepy, terrifying and even a little funny, with impressive special effects for a TV show.
Meanwhile, MTV said NBC couldn't have picked a better actor to portray John Constantine. Matt Ryan more or less resembles the spitting image of his comic book counterpart, from the sleek five o'clock shadow to the messy blonde hair. Not to mention the loosened tie and the trench coat (see "Hellblazer's "Constantine" photo). Most important of all, Matt Ryan is Welsh, a significant contribution to the accent that characterizes the character in the comic books (see photo of Matt Ryan as "Constantine").
Likewise, Screencrush acknowledged NBC's choice to stay true to the original material compared to the 2005 "Constantine" movie starring Keanu Reeves. Fans of DC's "Hellblazer" should be thrilled that their favourite character is well represented.
"Constantine" will premiere its horror this fall on Friday nights, back to back with "Grimm". Neil Marshall ("The Descent") directs the pilot episode with writers Daniel Cerone ("The Mentalist") and DC's David S. Goyer.
Video Credit to NBC
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase