"Constantine" Takes 'Hellblazer' Comics Into NBC's TV Series, Matt Ryan Gives Justice To John Constantine
By Tanya Diente | May 13, 2014 4:41 PM EST
John Constantine is back!
DC's famous demon hunter is taking his demon hunting skills to television. NBC has released its first trailer for the "Hellblazer" adaptation entitled "Constantine." The series follows John Constantine's battle against a hidden evil uprising up in the human world.
The first trailer introduces viewers to John Constantine, played by Welsh actor Matt Ryan ("Criminal Minds"). Constantine is a demon hunter and master of all things paranormal. His determination to live his life of helping others behind ended when he meets Liv, played by Lucy Griffiths ("True Blood"). Liv is a young woman who is targeted by demons and she also happens to be the daughter of one of Constantine's oldest friends. She and Constantine become demon-hunting partners as Liv also has the second sight to see evil spirits and demons surrounding the human world.
Viewers also get a peek at former "Lost" star Harold Perrineau who plays the role of Manny, an angel assigned with the task of watching over Constantine, and other demon businesses while Constantine tries to help Liv understand her developing second sight.
Scroll down for "Constantine" Trailer
The "Constantine" trailer, which runs just over three minutes, also gives viewers a glimpse of the dark theme in the series.
According to The Verge, the series looks to be creepy, terrifying and even a little funny, with impressive special effects for a TV show.
Meanwhile, MTV said NBC couldn't have picked a better actor to portray John Constantine. Matt Ryan more or less resembles the spitting image of his comic book counterpart, from the sleek five o'clock shadow to the messy blonde hair. Not to mention the loosened tie and the trench coat (see "Hellblazer's "Constantine" photo). Most important of all, Matt Ryan is Welsh, a significant contribution to the accent that characterizes the character in the comic books (see photo of Matt Ryan as "Constantine").
Likewise, Screencrush acknowledged NBC's choice to stay true to the original material compared to the 2005 "Constantine" movie starring Keanu Reeves. Fans of DC's "Hellblazer" should be thrilled that their favourite character is well represented.
"Constantine" will premiere its horror this fall on Friday nights, back to back with "Grimm". Neil Marshall ("The Descent") directs the pilot episode with writers Daniel Cerone ("The Mentalist") and DC's David S. Goyer.
Video Credit to NBC
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced