"Constantine" Takes 'Hellblazer' Comics Into NBC's TV Series, Matt Ryan Gives Justice To John Constantine
By Tanya Diente | May 13, 2014 4:41 PM EST
John Constantine is back!
DC's famous demon hunter is taking his demon hunting skills to television. NBC has released its first trailer for the "Hellblazer" adaptation entitled "Constantine." The series follows John Constantine's battle against a hidden evil uprising up in the human world.
The first trailer introduces viewers to John Constantine, played by Welsh actor Matt Ryan ("Criminal Minds"). Constantine is a demon hunter and master of all things paranormal. His determination to live his life of helping others behind ended when he meets Liv, played by Lucy Griffiths ("True Blood"). Liv is a young woman who is targeted by demons and she also happens to be the daughter of one of Constantine's oldest friends. She and Constantine become demon-hunting partners as Liv also has the second sight to see evil spirits and demons surrounding the human world.
Viewers also get a peek at former "Lost" star Harold Perrineau who plays the role of Manny, an angel assigned with the task of watching over Constantine, and other demon businesses while Constantine tries to help Liv understand her developing second sight.
Scroll down for "Constantine" Trailer
The "Constantine" trailer, which runs just over three minutes, also gives viewers a glimpse of the dark theme in the series.
According to The Verge, the series looks to be creepy, terrifying and even a little funny, with impressive special effects for a TV show.
Meanwhile, MTV said NBC couldn't have picked a better actor to portray John Constantine. Matt Ryan more or less resembles the spitting image of his comic book counterpart, from the sleek five o'clock shadow to the messy blonde hair. Not to mention the loosened tie and the trench coat (see "Hellblazer's "Constantine" photo). Most important of all, Matt Ryan is Welsh, a significant contribution to the accent that characterizes the character in the comic books (see photo of Matt Ryan as "Constantine").
Likewise, Screencrush acknowledged NBC's choice to stay true to the original material compared to the 2005 "Constantine" movie starring Keanu Reeves. Fans of DC's "Hellblazer" should be thrilled that their favourite character is well represented.
"Constantine" will premiere its horror this fall on Friday nights, back to back with "Grimm". Neil Marshall ("The Descent") directs the pilot episode with writers Daniel Cerone ("The Mentalist") and DC's David S. Goyer.
Video Credit to NBC
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports