Donald Sterling Accuses 'Black People' Again, Blames Magic Johnson For Making 'False Promise'
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 13, 2014 4:21 PM EST
Donald Sterling, the disgraced owner of Los Angeles Clippers, has claimed Magic Johnson asked him to keep quiet after he was accused of racism.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (L) speaks with CNN's Anderson Cooper during an interview scheduled to be broadcast May 12, 2014 in this handout photo by CNN/AC360. Sterling, who was banned for life from the NBA over racist comments, has apologized and asked for forgiveness in his first public statement since the controversy began last month, CNN said on Sunday.
That was why he took such a long time to declare that he was "sorry" for what he had done. The silence, which eventually got him banned from the NBA, was because of Magic's claim that he would help Sterling "work it out," he said.
The CNN exclusive interview was the first time Sterling spoke about the racism controversy. He claimed he had been "baited" into making such racist comments as he denied to be accused of being racist. He apologized repeatedly for what happened, but got furious when Magic's name was referred.
The 80-year-old man slammed the iconic player accusing him of not doing anything to help anybody. "What kind of a guy goes to every city, has sex with every girl, then he catches HIV? Is that someone we want to respect and tell our kids about?" Sterling asked.
"I think he should be ashamed of himself. I think he should go into the background. But what does he do for the black people? He doesn't do anything," he said.
The controversial audio that put Sterling's NBA career in jeopardy reveals him talking about Magic. "Admire him, bring him here, feed him, f**k him, but don't put (Magic) on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me," Sterling said.
The audio became hugely controversial eventually and Magic was one of the first people to recommend that Sterling should be banned from the NBA.
At present, Sterling is banned for life from the NBA. Also, he is entitled to pay a $2.5 million fine for making a racist's remark. While he may be forced to sell his team, Sterling claimed Magic had an eye on the Clippers. He said he promised to help him as Sterling doing "nothing" would make it easy for him to buy the team.
The Jewish businessman said people from his community would help the poor after getting rich. Black people, on the contrary, do nothing to help others after getting successful.
"Some of the African-Americans -- maybe I'll get in trouble again -- they don't want to help anybody," he said.
Magic reacted on Twitter saying he would prefer talking about NBA playoffs than Sterling's interview.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown