Donald Sterling Accuses 'Black People' Again, Blames Magic Johnson For Making 'False Promise'
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 13, 2014 4:21 PM EST
Donald Sterling, the disgraced owner of Los Angeles Clippers, has claimed Magic Johnson asked him to keep quiet after he was accused of racism.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (L) speaks with CNN's Anderson Cooper during an interview scheduled to be broadcast May 12, 2014 in this handout photo by CNN/AC360. Sterling, who was banned for life from the NBA over racist comments, has apologized and asked for forgiveness in his first public statement since the controversy began last month, CNN said on Sunday.
That was why he took such a long time to declare that he was "sorry" for what he had done. The silence, which eventually got him banned from the NBA, was because of Magic's claim that he would help Sterling "work it out," he said.
The CNN exclusive interview was the first time Sterling spoke about the racism controversy. He claimed he had been "baited" into making such racist comments as he denied to be accused of being racist. He apologized repeatedly for what happened, but got furious when Magic's name was referred.
The 80-year-old man slammed the iconic player accusing him of not doing anything to help anybody. "What kind of a guy goes to every city, has sex with every girl, then he catches HIV? Is that someone we want to respect and tell our kids about?" Sterling asked.
"I think he should be ashamed of himself. I think he should go into the background. But what does he do for the black people? He doesn't do anything," he said.
The controversial audio that put Sterling's NBA career in jeopardy reveals him talking about Magic. "Admire him, bring him here, feed him, f**k him, but don't put (Magic) on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me," Sterling said.
The audio became hugely controversial eventually and Magic was one of the first people to recommend that Sterling should be banned from the NBA.
At present, Sterling is banned for life from the NBA. Also, he is entitled to pay a $2.5 million fine for making a racist's remark. While he may be forced to sell his team, Sterling claimed Magic had an eye on the Clippers. He said he promised to help him as Sterling doing "nothing" would make it easy for him to buy the team.
The Jewish businessman said people from his community would help the poor after getting rich. Black people, on the contrary, do nothing to help others after getting successful.
"Some of the African-Americans -- maybe I'll get in trouble again -- they don't want to help anybody," he said.
Magic reacted on Twitter saying he would prefer talking about NBA playoffs than Sterling's interview.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged