Incensed Over Baby’s Non-stop Crying, Filipina Nurse Tapes Newborn Mouth’s Shut (PHOTOS)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 13, 2014 3:49 PM EST
A nurse in the Philippines' province of Cebu has become the center of outrage of netizens after she taped a newborn's mouth shut because the baby cried loudly and was too noisy.
Ryan Noval and Jasmine Badocdoc found the lips of their son Yohannes Noval taped shut as he slept. When they inquired about it from a nurse, "the baby was crying too loudly and was always asking for milk," local paper SunStar Cebu quoted the nurse's reply.
A newly-born baby girl, Jolanda, smiles into the camera after her mother, Susan, gave birth to her on a table in the corner of the cityhall in Palo, Leyte, some 15 km (9 miles) away from Tacloban, November 15, 2013. Life returns to normal again a week after Super Typhoon Haiyan, the strongest ever recorded, hit Leyte in the central Philippines. REUTERS/Wolfgang Rattay
The nurse is working for the Cebu Puericulture Centre and Maternity House Inc, located in the Philippines' second-most populated Cebu province.
Badocdoc then asked the nurse to take the tape off her son's mouth. She was even told to do it herself. When the nurse eventually removed the tape, newborn Yohannes cried because "bit of skin" from his lips got stuck to the tape.
"This is not even close to being professional or humane," Noval wrote on Facebook. "Jasmine immediately asked the attending nurse 'why is there tape over his mouth?' and the reply she got from the nurse was "your baby was TOO NOISY (crying) so I put that over his mouth....'"
The parents are now consulting their lawyers on what action to pursue against the hospital and the still unidentified nurse, according to a report from dzBB radio on Tuesday.
Dr Raida Varona, medical director of the Cebu Puericulture Centre and Maternity House, said they were currently identifying the nurse responsible for the act. Her actions were not part of their protocol, Varona said.
"Meet my son Yohannes Noval!! He cannot speak about his horrific experience from the attending nurse's hands inside Maternity Hospital's nursery ... so we have to speak out for him," Noval wrote on his photo album posting which he titled 'Nightmare @ Maternity Hospital.'
"If you think your new born babies are safe, think again. Your babies could be silent victims and you will never really know about it!!!"
See baby Yohannes' taped mouth here.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Incest Charges For Georgia Siblings Who Had Sex Thrice After Watching The Notebook
- Scam: Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos Solidarity Campaign Deceives Women Into Snapping Naked Selfies
- 3 Years Jail In Australian Prison For Former Playboy Model Brandi Brandt Over Cocaine Smugglng
- X-Men Director Bryan Singer Faces Sexual Assault Charges From 21-Year-Old Virginia Man
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase