Incensed Over Baby’s Non-stop Crying, Filipina Nurse Tapes Newborn Mouth’s Shut (PHOTOS)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 13, 2014 3:49 PM EST
A nurse in the Philippines' province of Cebu has become the center of outrage of netizens after she taped a newborn's mouth shut because the baby cried loudly and was too noisy.
Ryan Noval and Jasmine Badocdoc found the lips of their son Yohannes Noval taped shut as he slept. When they inquired about it from a nurse, "the baby was crying too loudly and was always asking for milk," local paper SunStar Cebu quoted the nurse's reply.
A newly-born baby girl, Jolanda, smiles into the camera after her mother, Susan, gave birth to her on a table in the corner of the cityhall in Palo, Leyte, some 15 km (9 miles) away from Tacloban, November 15, 2013. Life returns to normal again a week after Super Typhoon Haiyan, the strongest ever recorded, hit Leyte in the central Philippines. REUTERS/Wolfgang Rattay
The nurse is working for the Cebu Puericulture Centre and Maternity House Inc, located in the Philippines' second-most populated Cebu province.
Badocdoc then asked the nurse to take the tape off her son's mouth. She was even told to do it herself. When the nurse eventually removed the tape, newborn Yohannes cried because "bit of skin" from his lips got stuck to the tape.
"This is not even close to being professional or humane," Noval wrote on Facebook. "Jasmine immediately asked the attending nurse 'why is there tape over his mouth?' and the reply she got from the nurse was "your baby was TOO NOISY (crying) so I put that over his mouth....'"
The parents are now consulting their lawyers on what action to pursue against the hospital and the still unidentified nurse, according to a report from dzBB radio on Tuesday.
Dr Raida Varona, medical director of the Cebu Puericulture Centre and Maternity House, said they were currently identifying the nurse responsible for the act. Her actions were not part of their protocol, Varona said.
"Meet my son Yohannes Noval!! He cannot speak about his horrific experience from the attending nurse's hands inside Maternity Hospital's nursery ... so we have to speak out for him," Noval wrote on his photo album posting which he titled 'Nightmare @ Maternity Hospital.'
"If you think your new born babies are safe, think again. Your babies could be silent victims and you will never really know about it!!!"
See baby Yohannes' taped mouth here.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Indonesia Uses Russian-Built Fighter Jets In Chasing For Australian Plane
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Producers Allowed to Sue ‘Femme Fatales’ Actress Anne Greene For Refusing Nude Scenes
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier