Dr Dre Out Loud on Being the 'First Billionaire in Hip Hop,' with Apple's Acquisition of Beats [VIDEO]
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 13, 2014 3:35 PM EST
If industry watchers are going base the evidence on Apple's acquisition of Beats Electronics with Dr Dre's recent video, then there's no more need to speculate. Immediately after news broke out that "Apple Inc." will settle the acquisition deal with "Beats Electronics," Dr Dre went on celebrating as the "first billionaire in hip hop."
Recording artist Dr. Dre wears a pair of Beats headphones as he attends the MLB 2010 season opener between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park in Boston, in this file photo taken April 4, 2010. Apple Inc is close to buying headphone maker Beats Electronics for $3.2 billion, the Financial Times reported. The purchase of Beats, which also runs a streaming music service, would be the company's largest ever acquisition, the newspaper reported.
In the Instagram video, rapper Andre "Dr Dre" Young hinted his billionaire status joyously. Dr Dre together with singer/actor Tyrese Gibson and his other friends celebrated about Apple's acquisition of Dre's Beats Brand as if it's already a done deal - in the looks of it, it could actually be already true.
Dr Dre declares in the video, "The first billionaire in hip hop from the mother***king West Coast," and he adds "Believe it."
Tyrese backs him up with "S**t just got real," and "they need to update the Forbes list!"
With Dr Dre's recent "announcement," it is still uncertain how much he will truly gain from the deal. Various reports say that Dre has a 15 percent stake with the Beats ownership. The acquisition will bolster his current $550 million net worth to billionaire status. Though his billionaire status may become short-lived as "A sale for $3.2 billion would nearly double the value of Dre's holdings, though capital gains taxes could take a bite out of his big payday, likely leaving him in the neighborhood of $800 million," Forbes staffer Zack O'Malley Greenburg said in a post, reported by Huffington Post.
Should Apple officially announces the acquisition deal with Beats, Dre Dre will definitely up his rankings to the top spot of the wealthiest hip-hop artists. According to Forbes magazine's tally last April, Diddy is at number one spot with $700 million, Dre takes second place with $550 million, and Jay-Z in the third place with $520 million.
Apple has still yet to announce the veracity of the claims and celebrations when they officially announce any news about the acquisition of Beats Electronics in possibly the next few days or weeks.
(Warning: Video contains NSFW language)
CREDIT: Zion Lion/YouTube
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- Jennifer Lopez And Iggy Azalea Show Off Their Incredible Bodies In Risqué Artwork Of 'Booty' Remix
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge