UFC’s Georges St-Pierre and WWE’s Dave Bautista to Star in the Remake of 1989 Classic Martial Arts Flick ‘Kickboxer’
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 13, 2014 3:10 PM EST
The 1989 classic martial arts-action flick Kickboxer, which starred Jean Claude Van Damme, is getting a remake.
Ultimate Fighting Championship's (UFC) Georges St-Pierre and World Wrestling Entertainment's (WWE) Dave Bautista will reportedly star in the remake of the said movie, THR reported.
However, neither St-Pierre nor Bautista will play the lead role. Hollywood stuntman and martial artist Alain Moussi will play the main character. Moussi has already appeared in a series of Hollywood movies such as Pacific Rim, White House Down and the upcoming X-Men: Days of the Future Past.
According to THR, Radar Pictures producer Ted Field hired Hongkong-based actor and film director Stephen Fung to direct the new version. Fung has helmed six movies in the past including Jump, Tai Chi 0, and Tai Chi Hero.
Kickboxer was originally about a man (Kurt), played by Van Damme, who trained and learned Muay Thai kickboxing in an effort to seek vengeance for this brother (Eric), who was brutally beaten in a fight. In the rebooted version, the story revolves in the descendants of David and Kurt. David flies to Hong Kong to compete in the Karate World Championship, despite Kurt's objections. Kurt then hovers to Thailand to supposedly meet David, only to discover that he has died. Kurt then plots his revenge.
Van Damme's movie Kickboxer is not the only one that is going to get a remake. In March 2013, Deadline.com reported that Van Damme's Blood Sport will also get a reboot.
St-Pierre and Bautista's character are yet to be revealed. St-Pierre has recently appeared as Bartoc the Leaper in the movie Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Meanwhile, Bautista has appeared in two movies in the last couple years. Bautista was casted in the movie The Man with the Iron Fists as well as in Riddick. Bautista's latest action flick is Guardians of the Galaxy, which is set to be released on Aug 1, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS