How to Upgrade Nokia X to Android 4.1.2 Vanilla User Interface With Aurora Vanilla Custom ROM
By Ryan Inoyori | May 13, 2014 2:04 PM EST
Android 4.1.2 vanilla user interface is now possible on Nokia X using Aurora Vanilla custom ROM. Its installation process is relatively easy and will bring the original interface of Android OS that removes the Metro UI imposed by Microsoft.
Aurora Vanilla ROM
It is based on sources of Code Aurora with Android Open Source Project and Qualcomm specific enhancements and optimisations.
- ROM Version: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4
- Firmware Required: Nokia X software platform 1.1
- Status: Stable release
- Known Issues: FM radio output only works on speaker; headset unsupported yet
Your Nokia X smartphone is running Android but requires some things to change its user interface to vanilla from Metro.
1. It is only applicable to the Nokia X smartphone only, not yet designed for Nokia X+ or Nokia XL.
2. Create a manual backup of all data files and personal settings stored on your Nokia X handset.
3. Make sure that the battery level is at least 60 per cent to prevent any power interruption during installation.
6. Download the Google Apps package on your computer as well.
Warning: We are not responsible to any possible errors you may encounter during installation. Manual installation may damage your Nokia X if done improperly. Read and follow the instructions carefully to avoid facing any technical issues. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect your Nokia X smartphone to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy and paste the Aurora Vanilla custom ROM and the Google Apps package to the storage of your Nokia X.
3. Disconnect the Nokia X from your computer and then switch it off.
4. Reboot into Recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume and Power keys for 15 seconds.
5. Inside the Recovery mode, you may try to create a nAndroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup" to make a save file.
6. Now install the Aurora Vanilla ROM by selecting "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the Aurora Vanilla firmware you've pasted earlier > confirm installation. Apply the same with Google Apps package. Updating may take up to five minutes on your Nokia X.
7. After the installation, go back and select "reboot system now."
Once the device reaches the new home screen, go to Settings > About Phone and check the new firmware version. Aurora Vanilla custom ROM developers are currently developing an Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Nokia X smartphone.
For bugs, comments and suggestions, send your feedback to the Aurora Vanilla original XDA thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- Sony Xperia Z3 Five Things Unveiled: 2 Metres Water-Resistance, Sprint US, Specifications, LTE Certification, Sports Sensor
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen