How to Upgrade Nokia X to Android 4.1.2 Vanilla User Interface With Aurora Vanilla Custom ROM
By Ryan Inoyori | May 13, 2014 2:04 PM EST
Android 4.1.2 vanilla user interface is now possible on Nokia X using Aurora Vanilla custom ROM. Its installation process is relatively easy and will bring the original interface of Android OS that removes the Metro UI imposed by Microsoft.
Aurora Vanilla ROM
It is based on sources of Code Aurora with Android Open Source Project and Qualcomm specific enhancements and optimisations.
- ROM Version: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4
- Firmware Required: Nokia X software platform 1.1
- Status: Stable release
- Known Issues: FM radio output only works on speaker; headset unsupported yet
Your Nokia X smartphone is running Android but requires some things to change its user interface to vanilla from Metro.
1. It is only applicable to the Nokia X smartphone only, not yet designed for Nokia X+ or Nokia XL.
2. Create a manual backup of all data files and personal settings stored on your Nokia X handset.
3. Make sure that the battery level is at least 60 per cent to prevent any power interruption during installation.
6. Download the Google Apps package on your computer as well.
Warning: We are not responsible to any possible errors you may encounter during installation. Manual installation may damage your Nokia X if done improperly. Read and follow the instructions carefully to avoid facing any technical issues. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect your Nokia X smartphone to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy and paste the Aurora Vanilla custom ROM and the Google Apps package to the storage of your Nokia X.
3. Disconnect the Nokia X from your computer and then switch it off.
4. Reboot into Recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume and Power keys for 15 seconds.
5. Inside the Recovery mode, you may try to create a nAndroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup" to make a save file.
6. Now install the Aurora Vanilla ROM by selecting "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the Aurora Vanilla firmware you've pasted earlier > confirm installation. Apply the same with Google Apps package. Updating may take up to five minutes on your Nokia X.
7. After the installation, go back and select "reboot system now."
Once the device reaches the new home screen, go to Settings > About Phone and check the new firmware version. Aurora Vanilla custom ROM developers are currently developing an Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Nokia X smartphone.
For bugs, comments and suggestions, send your feedback to the Aurora Vanilla original XDA thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown