How to Upgrade Nokia X to Android 4.1.2 Vanilla User Interface With Aurora Vanilla Custom ROM
By Ryan Inoyori | May 13, 2014 2:04 PM EST
Android 4.1.2 vanilla user interface is now possible on Nokia X using Aurora Vanilla custom ROM. Its installation process is relatively easy and will bring the original interface of Android OS that removes the Metro UI imposed by Microsoft.
Aurora Vanilla ROM
It is based on sources of Code Aurora with Android Open Source Project and Qualcomm specific enhancements and optimisations.
- ROM Version: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4
- Firmware Required: Nokia X software platform 1.1
- Status: Stable release
- Known Issues: FM radio output only works on speaker; headset unsupported yet
Your Nokia X smartphone is running Android but requires some things to change its user interface to vanilla from Metro.
1. It is only applicable to the Nokia X smartphone only, not yet designed for Nokia X+ or Nokia XL.
2. Create a manual backup of all data files and personal settings stored on your Nokia X handset.
3. Make sure that the battery level is at least 60 per cent to prevent any power interruption during installation.
6. Download the Google Apps package on your computer as well.
Warning: We are not responsible to any possible errors you may encounter during installation. Manual installation may damage your Nokia X if done improperly. Read and follow the instructions carefully to avoid facing any technical issues. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect your Nokia X smartphone to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy and paste the Aurora Vanilla custom ROM and the Google Apps package to the storage of your Nokia X.
3. Disconnect the Nokia X from your computer and then switch it off.
4. Reboot into Recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume and Power keys for 15 seconds.
5. Inside the Recovery mode, you may try to create a nAndroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup" to make a save file.
6. Now install the Aurora Vanilla ROM by selecting "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the Aurora Vanilla firmware you've pasted earlier > confirm installation. Apply the same with Google Apps package. Updating may take up to five minutes on your Nokia X.
7. After the installation, go back and select "reboot system now."
Once the device reaches the new home screen, go to Settings > About Phone and check the new firmware version. Aurora Vanilla custom ROM developers are currently developing an Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Nokia X smartphone.
For bugs, comments and suggestions, send your feedback to the Aurora Vanilla original XDA thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones