Sigourney Weaver Joins Michael Fassbender and Reprises Role as Ellen Ripley in 'Prometheus' Sequel
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 13, 2014 12:37 PM EST
After working with Ridley Scott on the sequel to "Blade Runner," veteran writer Michael Green has been hired to rewrite a script originally written by Jack Paglen for the untitled "Prometheus" sequel for 20th Century Fox.
Actor Michael Fassbender arrives at the Golden Globe Awards.
"Prometheus" served as an 'unofficial' prequel to Scott's iconic sci-fi movie "Alien," from way back in 1979. The sequel that Green will write seals the connection to the original "Alien" films by getting Sigourney Weaver onboard to reprise her role as Ellen Ripley.
The first "Prometheus" film starred Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, a God-fearing archaeologist tasked with finding the Engineers, an alien race that served as the architects of humanity. Michael Fassbender co-starred as an android named David whose remains, by the end of the film, help sole human survivor Shaw launch an Engineer spacecraft bound for their home planet. The last shot featured an alien creature bursting out of an engineer's chest, reminiscent of the terrifying scenes from the "Alien" films.
The actual chronology of the storyline is still unclear but it appears that with "Prometheus" pegged to be a prequel, time travel would be a key element to the involvement of Weaver's character. "Alien" fanatics from all over the world became very critical of several points in the first "Prometheus" movie noting inconsistencies but the film still earned over US $400 million in the box office.
The sequel is expected to feature Rapace's character again and multiple 'David' androids, which means there will be more than one Michael Fassbender on screen at the same time.
The project is currently set for March 4, 2016.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- 'The Good Wife' Season 4, Episode 10 Spoilers: Alicia Florrick Campaign Goes Awry In Winter Finale (Updates)
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide