Sigourney Weaver Joins Michael Fassbender and Reprises Role as Ellen Ripley in 'Prometheus' Sequel
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 13, 2014 12:37 PM EST
After working with Ridley Scott on the sequel to "Blade Runner," veteran writer Michael Green has been hired to rewrite a script originally written by Jack Paglen for the untitled "Prometheus" sequel for 20th Century Fox.
Actor Michael Fassbender arrives at the Golden Globe Awards.
"Prometheus" served as an 'unofficial' prequel to Scott's iconic sci-fi movie "Alien," from way back in 1979. The sequel that Green will write seals the connection to the original "Alien" films by getting Sigourney Weaver onboard to reprise her role as Ellen Ripley.
The first "Prometheus" film starred Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, a God-fearing archaeologist tasked with finding the Engineers, an alien race that served as the architects of humanity. Michael Fassbender co-starred as an android named David whose remains, by the end of the film, help sole human survivor Shaw launch an Engineer spacecraft bound for their home planet. The last shot featured an alien creature bursting out of an engineer's chest, reminiscent of the terrifying scenes from the "Alien" films.
The actual chronology of the storyline is still unclear but it appears that with "Prometheus" pegged to be a prequel, time travel would be a key element to the involvement of Weaver's character. "Alien" fanatics from all over the world became very critical of several points in the first "Prometheus" movie noting inconsistencies but the film still earned over US $400 million in the box office.
The sequel is expected to feature Rapace's character again and multiple 'David' androids, which means there will be more than one Michael Fassbender on screen at the same time.
The project is currently set for March 4, 2016.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family