Sigourney Weaver Joins Michael Fassbender and Reprises Role as Ellen Ripley in 'Prometheus' Sequel
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 13, 2014 12:37 PM EST
After working with Ridley Scott on the sequel to "Blade Runner," veteran writer Michael Green has been hired to rewrite a script originally written by Jack Paglen for the untitled "Prometheus" sequel for 20th Century Fox.
Actor Michael Fassbender arrives at the Golden Globe Awards.
"Prometheus" served as an 'unofficial' prequel to Scott's iconic sci-fi movie "Alien," from way back in 1979. The sequel that Green will write seals the connection to the original "Alien" films by getting Sigourney Weaver onboard to reprise her role as Ellen Ripley.
The first "Prometheus" film starred Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, a God-fearing archaeologist tasked with finding the Engineers, an alien race that served as the architects of humanity. Michael Fassbender co-starred as an android named David whose remains, by the end of the film, help sole human survivor Shaw launch an Engineer spacecraft bound for their home planet. The last shot featured an alien creature bursting out of an engineer's chest, reminiscent of the terrifying scenes from the "Alien" films.
The actual chronology of the storyline is still unclear but it appears that with "Prometheus" pegged to be a prequel, time travel would be a key element to the involvement of Weaver's character. "Alien" fanatics from all over the world became very critical of several points in the first "Prometheus" movie noting inconsistencies but the film still earned over US $400 million in the box office.
The sequel is expected to feature Rapace's character again and multiple 'David' androids, which means there will be more than one Michael Fassbender on screen at the same time.
The project is currently set for March 4, 2016.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier