New Dad Roger Federer’s Paternity Leave is Over, to Compete at the Italian Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 13, 2014 12:05 PM EST
Roger Federer is no different from other fathers who stay at home at the time of the arrival of a new born baby. Federer stayed with his wife Mirka when she gave birth to their new set of twins, but the 17-time Grand Slam champion is back on tour to compete at the Italian Open.
Federer tweeted on Monday:
Oh and btw ciao tutti, I just arrived in bella Italia! Looking forward to Rome #mostamazingcity— Roger Federer (@rogerfederer) May 12, 2014
Then Federer tweeted more snapshots of his stay in Rome. He also retweeted a photo of him with Italian footballer Francesco Totti that was originally posted by @ASRoma.
The Swiss athlete who currently ranks fourth in the world later confirmed on his official Web site that he would indeed take part and compete at the Italian Open. "Roger arrived in Rome today, where he will compete in the Internazionali BNL d' Italia." The Italian Open is reportedly the only tournament that Federer has never won so far. He will face France's Jeremy Chardy in the first round of the tournament.
According to For the Win, it is important for Federer to compete at the Italian Open so that he could keep his current world ranking. Otherwise, Spain's David Ferrer, who is behind him sitting at the sixth spot, would have gone past him.
In the 2013 Italian Open, Federer made it to the finals and clashed with top-ranked male tennis athlete Rafael Nadal, but he lost to the Spanish athlete in two straight sets, 6-1, 6-3. It was Federer and Nadal's 30th meeting then.
Nadal is reportedly going to compete in the Italian Open, and the Spanish athlete is looking forward to defending the title that he had won seven times. Federer, along with other tennis greats will definitely be a big challenge to Nadal.
For the complete list of participating players, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon