Irina Shayk’s Topless Selfie for ‘Bring Back Our Girls’ Campaign Criticised by Social Media Users
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 13, 2014 11:29 AM EST
Irina Shayk joins the world's "Bring Back Our Girls" campaign, referring to the 230 girls kidnapped in Nigeria, by posting topless while holding a handwritten sign that reads the popular hashtag "#bringbackourgirls." However, Irina, who used to receive praises because of her profession as a model, was slammed and criticised by a number of her followers on Instagram. Social media users thought Irina's topless protest was nothing but a cheap stunt.
Russian model Irina Shayk presents a creation from the collection of Desigual during 080 Barcelona Fashion in the Born Cultural Centre in Barcelona, January 28, 2014. Spanish fashion label Desigual is accelerating its expansion in Europe and emerging markets, seeking to ride predictions of fast growth in women's apparel while also taking the colourful brand into new areas like perfume and shoes. The Barcelona-based company is targeting sales of 1 billion euros ($1.4 billion) this year, up from about 820 million in 2013 and 440 million four years ago. It is all part of managing director Manel Jadraque's masterplan to build a powerhouse brand to rival those produced by the likes of French luxury group LVMH, where he worked for a decade before joining Desigual as director of operations in 2004. REUTERS/Gustau Nacarino
Celebrities.ninemsn.com.au was one of the first news outlets to report Irina's less than impressive act. "The 28-year-old covered up her bits with a handmade sign in support of the cause, which saw her Insta-followers brand her as being 'disrespectful.'" The Web site wrote that Irina should have asked for some advice from other celebrities like Cara Delevingne, Alicia Keys and Anne Hathaway who also brandished the sign "Bring Back Our Girls" but fully-clothed.
Here are some of the comments seen on Irina's Instagram post.
"Super models are dumb."
"Unfollowing. Just don't understand how you can be that silly."
"Why did you pose like that? You're talking about girls kidnapped and more adjectives that I just can't say, at least you should be with your clothes on don't you think so?"
"@cristiano, is your wife a pornstar?" Irina Shayk is currently in a relationship with Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo.
"Bad idea this time to show yourself naked again. Sorry. This # is to help those poor girls and not to give them this naked picture. Look at models posing with the hashtag, they aren't naked at all."
Now, people can quit hating on her. Irina probably didn't mean no harm. She was just the latest celebrity to join the "Bring Back Our Girls" campaign.
On April 15, more than 200 school girls were kidnapped from the Chibok Government Secondary School by an Islamic Terrorist Group known as Boko Haram. Until now, the girls are still being held in captivity in an undisclosed location.
According to a Reuters report, the terrorists will release the girls if the government will release the prisoners who belong to their group.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage