International Premier Tennis League 1st Leg Moves to Manila Due to Political Unrest in Bangkok; Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic & Serena Williams Confirm Attendance
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 13, 2014 9:35 AM EST
Organisers of the International Premier Tennis League announced on Monday the change of venue for the 1st leg of the sports event to Manila from Bangkok. The sudden change is due to the political instability in Thailand after the Constitutional Court removed from office on Wednesday Thai Prime Minister Yinluck Shinawatra for nepotism.
Rafael Nadal is keen to move ahead in the quest for his ninth title in Barcelona.
The tournament would be on Nov 28-30. The organisers picked the Philippines as the alternative venue due to the availability of world class indoor games venue that could hold up to 20,000 spectators. Moreover, there has been no professional games in the Philippines the past 20 years, disclosed IPTL founder Mahesh Bhupathi.
He explained, "We had to divert from the original franchise owner in Bangkok as the political unrest forced us to look for an alternative city to ensure the safety of all stakeholders."
Among the top-seeded tennis players who have confirmed their attendance are number 1 Rafa Nadal, number 2 Novak Djokovic and number 1 female player Serena Williams.
The team members who will represent Manila are Andy Murray of Britain, Jo Wilfried-Tsonga of France and Victoria Azarenka of Belarus.
The three other teams represent the franchise from Singapore. Dubai and Mumbai. The matches will have men's and women's singles, men's and mixed doubles and a men's legends singles with one set per match and no advantage scoring.
Reports said the venue would likely be either at the Mall of Asia or Smart Araneta Coliseum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James