International Premier Tennis League 1st Leg Moves to Manila Due to Political Unrest in Bangkok; Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic & Serena Williams Confirm Attendance
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 13, 2014 9:35 AM EST
Organisers of the International Premier Tennis League announced on Monday the change of venue for the 1st leg of the sports event to Manila from Bangkok. The sudden change is due to the political instability in Thailand after the Constitutional Court removed from office on Wednesday Thai Prime Minister Yinluck Shinawatra for nepotism.
Rafael Nadal is keen to move ahead in the quest for his ninth title in Barcelona.
The tournament would be on Nov 28-30. The organisers picked the Philippines as the alternative venue due to the availability of world class indoor games venue that could hold up to 20,000 spectators. Moreover, there has been no professional games in the Philippines the past 20 years, disclosed IPTL founder Mahesh Bhupathi.
He explained, "We had to divert from the original franchise owner in Bangkok as the political unrest forced us to look for an alternative city to ensure the safety of all stakeholders."
Among the top-seeded tennis players who have confirmed their attendance are number 1 Rafa Nadal, number 2 Novak Djokovic and number 1 female player Serena Williams.
The team members who will represent Manila are Andy Murray of Britain, Jo Wilfried-Tsonga of France and Victoria Azarenka of Belarus.
The three other teams represent the franchise from Singapore. Dubai and Mumbai. The matches will have men's and women's singles, men's and mixed doubles and a men's legends singles with one set per match and no advantage scoring.
Reports said the venue would likely be either at the Mall of Asia or Smart Araneta Coliseum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28