International Premier Tennis League 1st Leg Moves to Manila Due to Political Unrest in Bangkok; Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic & Serena Williams Confirm Attendance
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 13, 2014 9:35 AM EST
Organisers of the International Premier Tennis League announced on Monday the change of venue for the 1st leg of the sports event to Manila from Bangkok. The sudden change is due to the political instability in Thailand after the Constitutional Court removed from office on Wednesday Thai Prime Minister Yinluck Shinawatra for nepotism.
Rafael Nadal is keen to move ahead in the quest for his ninth title in Barcelona.
The tournament would be on Nov 28-30. The organisers picked the Philippines as the alternative venue due to the availability of world class indoor games venue that could hold up to 20,000 spectators. Moreover, there has been no professional games in the Philippines the past 20 years, disclosed IPTL founder Mahesh Bhupathi.
He explained, "We had to divert from the original franchise owner in Bangkok as the political unrest forced us to look for an alternative city to ensure the safety of all stakeholders."
Among the top-seeded tennis players who have confirmed their attendance are number 1 Rafa Nadal, number 2 Novak Djokovic and number 1 female player Serena Williams.
The team members who will represent Manila are Andy Murray of Britain, Jo Wilfried-Tsonga of France and Victoria Azarenka of Belarus.
The three other teams represent the franchise from Singapore. Dubai and Mumbai. The matches will have men's and women's singles, men's and mixed doubles and a men's legends singles with one set per match and no advantage scoring.
Reports said the venue would likely be either at the Mall of Asia or Smart Araneta Coliseum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon