Gary Barlow Urged to Give Back OBE After Tax Avoidance Scandal; PM David Cameron Says He Should Keep It
By Anne Lu | May 13, 2014 6:41 AM EST
British MPs are calling for Gary Barlow to return his OBE, but Prime Minister David Cameron thinks he should keep it. The 43-year-old singer and his Take That bandmates Howard Donald and Mark Owen are accused of investing in a tax avoidance scheme.
According to reports, the former boyband members and their manager Jonathan Wild invested £66 million [approximately A$119 million] in two partnerships that were styled as music industry investment schemes, but, as a court ruling declared on May 10, were actually artificial tax shelters.
The partnerships were set up by Icebreaker Management, and have allowed the Take That singers to avoid around £63 million tax [A$113 million] from their world tours and CD sales.
It was revealed in 2012 that Barlow, Donald and Owen invested £63 million in the partnerships, though their lawyers claimed that they believed that they were legitimate investments, insisting that they all paid “significant tax.”
The singers, who are ordered to pay tens of millions of pounds in tax after the court ruling, refuse to comment on the scandal.
Labour MP Margaret Hodge, who is chair of the Public Accounts Committee, told The Times that Barlow “might want to show a bit of contrition by giving back his OBE.”
Conservative Charlie Elphicke agreed, saying, “People who have seriously abused the tax system should be stripped off their honours.”
But while the PM is against “aggressive” tax avoiders, he doesn’t think Barlow should return his OBE.
“I have said on the issue of Gary Barlow’s OBE – where I think he was given that award for his services to music, his immense charity services with, for instance, Children in Need, the fact that he organised that fantastic concert for the Queen’s Jubilee – he deserved his OBE, and I think he should keep it,” Cameron told Sky News.
Barlow was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in June 2012 for his “services to music and to charity.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks