'Neighbors' Tops Weekend Box Office; 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' Drops 59% Earnings from Debut Week
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 12, 2014 7:13 PM EST
"Neighbors" opened last week and top the box office hits on May 11 earning a total of $51.1 million three days after its opening. The movie topped the hits placing "The Amazing Spiderman" 2 second for this week with a total earning of $37.2 million.
Zac Efron poses after he threw off his shirt as he accepts the award for best shirtless performance for "That Awkward Moment" as presenters Rita Ora and Jessica Alba (2nd R) look on at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014.
"Neighbors" has earned a good sum on its debut weekend placing second as the biggest opening weekend earnings for an R-rated comedy film as of today. On the first place is "Ted", 2012 film starring Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis and Seth MacFarlane, which earned $54 million on its first week. Both films are from Universal Pictures. Other Universal Pictures films which became hits were American Pie and Meet the Parents.
"Neighbors" stars Seth Rogen, Rose Byrne and Zac Efron. The cast was said to have contributed to its box office success. The film is all about a couple settling down in a quiet neighbourhood with their new-born baby. The couple faces crazy and difficult life after frat brothers moved in the house next to theirs.
"The Amazing Spider-Man" 2 has a large drop of earnings this end of the week, according to a Forbes report. It was down to 59% from last week. The sequel from Sony starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone earned $37.2 million. This has similar large drop down to "Spider-Man 3". "Spider-Man 3's" earnings in 2007 dropped down 69 percent for its second week. Both "Spider-Man" movies drop-off were even larger than "Iron Man 3" which had a 58% drop of earnings, "Thor 2" with a 57%, and "Captain America 2" which had a 56%.
Though, "Spider-Man 3's" opening week earned $151.1 million while the second installation of the "Amazing Spider-Man" earned $92 million.
As of today, "The Amazing Spider-Man" 2 already earned a total of $550M worldwide.
Other movies to join "Neighbors and "The Amazing Spider-Man" 2 in the weekend box office hits are "The Other Woman" which earned $9.2 million; "Heaven Is For Real" which earned $7 million; "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" which earned $5.6 million; "Rio 2" which earned $5.1 million; "Mom's Night Out" which earned $4.2 million; "Legends Of Oz" which earned $3.7 million; "Divergent" which earned $1.7 million; and, "Brick Mansions" which earned $1.4 million respectively.
There are plenty of good movies vying for the audience's attention this 2014. Meanwhile, "Neighbors" is proving itself to be a major hit with Netizens commending the characters performance as well as the hilarious story line.
— Marshall (@Impartial_Marsh) May 12, 2014
Any new parent has to go see #NeighborsMovie starring @Sethrogen #RoseByrne - so awesome. — Jaime King (@Jaime_King) May 12, 2014
Went to see #NeighborsMovie for mothers day... might be the funniest movie ive seen this year!
— Broderick Binns (@B_Binns) May 12, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013