'Neighbors' Tops Weekend Box Office; 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' Drops 59% Earnings from Debut Week
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 12, 2014 7:13 PM EST
"Neighbors" opened last week and top the box office hits on May 11 earning a total of $51.1 million three days after its opening. The movie topped the hits placing "The Amazing Spiderman" 2 second for this week with a total earning of $37.2 million.
Zac Efron poses after he threw off his shirt as he accepts the award for best shirtless performance for "That Awkward Moment" as presenters Rita Ora and Jessica Alba (2nd R) look on at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014.
"Neighbors" has earned a good sum on its debut weekend placing second as the biggest opening weekend earnings for an R-rated comedy film as of today. On the first place is "Ted", 2012 film starring Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis and Seth MacFarlane, which earned $54 million on its first week. Both films are from Universal Pictures. Other Universal Pictures films which became hits were American Pie and Meet the Parents.
"Neighbors" stars Seth Rogen, Rose Byrne and Zac Efron. The cast was said to have contributed to its box office success. The film is all about a couple settling down in a quiet neighbourhood with their new-born baby. The couple faces crazy and difficult life after frat brothers moved in the house next to theirs.
"The Amazing Spider-Man" 2 has a large drop of earnings this end of the week, according to a Forbes report. It was down to 59% from last week. The sequel from Sony starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone earned $37.2 million. This has similar large drop down to "Spider-Man 3". "Spider-Man 3's" earnings in 2007 dropped down 69 percent for its second week. Both "Spider-Man" movies drop-off were even larger than "Iron Man 3" which had a 58% drop of earnings, "Thor 2" with a 57%, and "Captain America 2" which had a 56%.
Though, "Spider-Man 3's" opening week earned $151.1 million while the second installation of the "Amazing Spider-Man" earned $92 million.
As of today, "The Amazing Spider-Man" 2 already earned a total of $550M worldwide.
Other movies to join "Neighbors and "The Amazing Spider-Man" 2 in the weekend box office hits are "The Other Woman" which earned $9.2 million; "Heaven Is For Real" which earned $7 million; "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" which earned $5.6 million; "Rio 2" which earned $5.1 million; "Mom's Night Out" which earned $4.2 million; "Legends Of Oz" which earned $3.7 million; "Divergent" which earned $1.7 million; and, "Brick Mansions" which earned $1.4 million respectively.
There are plenty of good movies vying for the audience's attention this 2014. Meanwhile, "Neighbors" is proving itself to be a major hit with Netizens commending the characters performance as well as the hilarious story line.
— Marshall (@Impartial_Marsh) May 12, 2014
Any new parent has to go see #NeighborsMovie starring @Sethrogen #RoseByrne - so awesome. — Jaime King (@Jaime_King) May 12, 2014
Went to see #NeighborsMovie for mothers day... might be the funniest movie ive seen this year!
— Broderick Binns (@B_Binns) May 12, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air