'Neighbors' Tops Weekend Box Office; 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' Drops 59% Earnings from Debut Week
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 12, 2014 7:13 PM EST
"Neighbors" opened last week and top the box office hits on May 11 earning a total of $51.1 million three days after its opening. The movie topped the hits placing "The Amazing Spiderman" 2 second for this week with a total earning of $37.2 million.
Zac Efron poses after he threw off his shirt as he accepts the award for best shirtless performance for "That Awkward Moment" as presenters Rita Ora and Jessica Alba (2nd R) look on at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014.
"Neighbors" has earned a good sum on its debut weekend placing second as the biggest opening weekend earnings for an R-rated comedy film as of today. On the first place is "Ted", 2012 film starring Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis and Seth MacFarlane, which earned $54 million on its first week. Both films are from Universal Pictures. Other Universal Pictures films which became hits were American Pie and Meet the Parents.
"Neighbors" stars Seth Rogen, Rose Byrne and Zac Efron. The cast was said to have contributed to its box office success. The film is all about a couple settling down in a quiet neighbourhood with their new-born baby. The couple faces crazy and difficult life after frat brothers moved in the house next to theirs.
"The Amazing Spider-Man" 2 has a large drop of earnings this end of the week, according to a Forbes report. It was down to 59% from last week. The sequel from Sony starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone earned $37.2 million. This has similar large drop down to "Spider-Man 3". "Spider-Man 3's" earnings in 2007 dropped down 69 percent for its second week. Both "Spider-Man" movies drop-off were even larger than "Iron Man 3" which had a 58% drop of earnings, "Thor 2" with a 57%, and "Captain America 2" which had a 56%.
Though, "Spider-Man 3's" opening week earned $151.1 million while the second installation of the "Amazing Spider-Man" earned $92 million.
As of today, "The Amazing Spider-Man" 2 already earned a total of $550M worldwide.
Other movies to join "Neighbors and "The Amazing Spider-Man" 2 in the weekend box office hits are "The Other Woman" which earned $9.2 million; "Heaven Is For Real" which earned $7 million; "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" which earned $5.6 million; "Rio 2" which earned $5.1 million; "Mom's Night Out" which earned $4.2 million; "Legends Of Oz" which earned $3.7 million; "Divergent" which earned $1.7 million; and, "Brick Mansions" which earned $1.4 million respectively.
There are plenty of good movies vying for the audience's attention this 2014. Meanwhile, "Neighbors" is proving itself to be a major hit with Netizens commending the characters performance as well as the hilarious story line.
— Marshall (@Impartial_Marsh) May 12, 2014
Any new parent has to go see #NeighborsMovie starring @Sethrogen #RoseByrne - so awesome. — Jaime King (@Jaime_King) May 12, 2014
Went to see #NeighborsMovie for mothers day... might be the funniest movie ive seen this year!
— Broderick Binns (@B_Binns) May 12, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Finale Spoiler: Blake Proposes To Top Favourite Of Season 2
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- George Clooney Divorced Talia Balsam Years Before Getting Married to Amal Alamuddin: Know About Clooney's Ex Wife
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money