Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 5/12/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | May 12, 2014 5:42 PM EST
The Australian share market started the trading week in the red, despite another record high on the US Dow Jones Index on Friday. The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) closed lower by 13 points or 0.2 per cent to 5429 with mining and energy players the biggest drag.
Last week iron ore fell more than three percent while base metals prices were mixed in London trade on Friday. Tugboat workers in Port Hedland, WA are threatening to strike which could impact iron ore miner Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) as it needs to run at full capacity to meet its full year guidance. FMG shares closed lower by almost two per cent today to $4.72.
Fertiliser maker Incitec Pivot (IPL) shares bucked the downward trend, rising 1.1 per cent to $2.85 after increasing its 1H net profit by 7 per cent to $115.7 million. Revenue was higher by 6 per cent to $1.51 billion and shares holders will receive an increased interim dividend of 3.5 cents per share.
Childcare centre operator G8 Education (GEM) was another standout performer, up 5.9 per cent to $4.47 after collecting $150 million though an oversubscribed debt raising to fund the purchase of more centres.
Leighton Holdings (LEI) shares closed lower by 1.3 per cent to $19.80. A senior executive at LEI's Thiess subsidiary in India was arrested on Friday in relation to civil arbitration proceedings in Singapore.
For more company news, read the Mid-Session report.
In economic news, the NAB business confidence index rose from +4.4 points to +5.8 points in April. The business conditions index eased from +0.6 points to +0.3 points. The survey was conducted from April 24-30.
The average credit card balance fell by $38.20 (1.2 per cent) to $3,168.0 in March. The average credit card balance was 2.7 per cent below a year ago.
A total of 1.5 billion shares changed hands today, worth $3.2 billion.
Ahead tonight, the monthly Federal Budget figures are released in the US.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales