Godzilla Movie Review: Impressive ‘Package’ with a ‘Product’ Not So Stunning
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 12, 2014 5:30 PM EST
This is the 60th birthday of the iconic Japanese dinosaur. The American version of the savage destruction showed promise with its trailers. The glimpses of devastation included the gigantic beast biting a piece of high-rise buildings. The raised arm of the Statue of Liberty was missing. The soundtrack made an impression. Everything put together, it promiseds high-voltage action. Let's see how the 2014 version turned out to be.
Cast member Elizabeth Olsen poses at the premiere of "Godzilla" at the Dolby theatre in Hollywood, California May 8, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on May 16.
Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, Juliette Binoche, Bryan Cranston and David Strathairn.
Gareth Edwards (The only other film he directed was a successful Science-fiction "Monsters" in 2010)
The story of the movie is nothing new to moviegoers. It remains faithful to the original 1954 version "Gojra" by Ishirô Hondo. The 200-foot pre-historic beast comes to modern-age city and gets indulged in utter destruction. This happens to be only the second Godzilla movie which was completely filmed by an American production company. David Callaham, the same guy who penned the first Expendables film, wrote the story.
The CGI and other digital manipulations are as good as one can get in this modern era. The look of Godzilla is realistic and scary. The small head, ginormous paws and big bottom look vicious. Even though the movie is mostly dark and one has to struggle to find the texture of the creature, it is still one of the best we have got so far. The sound effect is equally magnificent. The pre-historic roar declares the kind of destruction the viewers are promised to witness.
The action of Godzilla goes on amid the human drama involving Joe Brody, his wife Sandra and their son Ford. This human conflict never makes a mark in the movie. The subplot seems to be extremely weak when the city is getting annihilated by a pre-historic beast. Even though the "package" of the movie looks great, the "product" may not seem to be equally impressive.
Watch it if you love Godzilla. The technical mastery will impress you. However, you may get disappointed if you are looking for a great story.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS