Godzilla Movie Review: Impressive ‘Package’ with a ‘Product’ Not So Stunning
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 12, 2014 5:30 PM EST
This is the 60th birthday of the iconic Japanese dinosaur. The American version of the savage destruction showed promise with its trailers. The glimpses of devastation included the gigantic beast biting a piece of high-rise buildings. The raised arm of the Statue of Liberty was missing. The soundtrack made an impression. Everything put together, it promiseds high-voltage action. Let's see how the 2014 version turned out to be.
Cast member Elizabeth Olsen poses at the premiere of "Godzilla" at the Dolby theatre in Hollywood, California May 8, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on May 16.
Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, Juliette Binoche, Bryan Cranston and David Strathairn.
Gareth Edwards (The only other film he directed was a successful Science-fiction "Monsters" in 2010)
The story of the movie is nothing new to moviegoers. It remains faithful to the original 1954 version "Gojra" by Ishirô Hondo. The 200-foot pre-historic beast comes to modern-age city and gets indulged in utter destruction. This happens to be only the second Godzilla movie which was completely filmed by an American production company. David Callaham, the same guy who penned the first Expendables film, wrote the story.
The CGI and other digital manipulations are as good as one can get in this modern era. The look of Godzilla is realistic and scary. The small head, ginormous paws and big bottom look vicious. Even though the movie is mostly dark and one has to struggle to find the texture of the creature, it is still one of the best we have got so far. The sound effect is equally magnificent. The pre-historic roar declares the kind of destruction the viewers are promised to witness.
The action of Godzilla goes on amid the human drama involving Joe Brody, his wife Sandra and their son Ford. This human conflict never makes a mark in the movie. The subplot seems to be extremely weak when the city is getting annihilated by a pre-historic beast. Even though the "package" of the movie looks great, the "product" may not seem to be equally impressive.
Watch it if you love Godzilla. The technical mastery will impress you. However, you may get disappointed if you are looking for a great story.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop