Former Boyfriend of Ex-PM Julia Gillard Hits Photographer Outside Royal Commission
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 12, 2014 5:05 PM EST
Bruce Wilson, an ex-boyfriend of erstwhile Prime Minister Julia Gillard and a former union official, hit a photographer on Monday outside the royal commission where there is an ongoing investigation into union corruption.
Amidst the existing threats to her government, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has assured South Australia that River Murray will be protected even as the controversial Murray Darling Basin Plan is set to be finalised before the end of 2012.
Inside the commission was another union official, Ralph Blewitt, who was providing evidence of alleged secret payments to union slush fund.
Sam Mooy, the photographer of News Corp Australia, spotted Wilson and took his photos, prompting the ex-union official to shout abuse to Mooy, who claimed Wilson pushed his lens and hit his collar. Another lensman, AAP photographer Dan Himbrechts, who was present, said the attack was unprovoked and recorded the incident in his camera (http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/bruce-wilson-exboyfriend-of-former-prime-minister-julia-gillard-attacks-photographer-outside-royal-commission/story-fnii5s3x-1226914755242?from=public_rss).
It was the first day of hearings of the commission formed by the Abbott Government to probe alleged union slush funds set up over 20 years ago. The reports alleged that Blewitt and Wilson were the bagmen.
In the hearing, Blewitt recalled arriving at the Melbourne house of Ms Gillard in 1994 and walking through the house to the back since the place was open. He said Ms Gillard was in one of the rooms beside the front door and told him to proceed to the back of the house where Wilson was.
He followed her instruction and found Wilson in the kitchen where there were three other people performing renovation work. Wilson called one of the workers and asked Blewitt to give the man $7,000 which he did.
The man took the money and returned to his work.
Ms Gillard had previously denied that union funds wee used to pay for her Melbourne house's renovation. Blewitt said Ms Gillard was not present when he handed over the $7,000.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff