Mother’s Day Miracle Story: Mother-Daughter Reunited After 77 Years
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 12, 2014 4:39 PM EST
A mother reunited with her daughter eight decades after she had left her for adoption. Minka Disbrow met her daughter Ruth Lee after 77 years and nothing could have made a better a Mother's Day story.
Disbrow got pregnant after she had been raped by a stranger when she was 16. It was 1928 when the stranger grabbed her in the woods close to her house in South Dakota. She had to abide by her family's wish and she handed her daughter over for adoption. She named her daughter "Betty Jane" before she had to give her away for adoption. She could never forget her daughter even after that. She kept on writing several letters to the House of Mercy adoption agency as she requested for news. The only thing that was left to her was a photograph of her daughter captioned, "Sweetest little girl in the world - Betty J."
The daughter was renamed as Ruth. She, raised by a Lutheran pastor and his wife, eventually had a happy childhood as she never thought of searching for her real mother. She had a family and five children, one of which went on to become a NASA astronaut. But it was when she suffered from several health problems at 77 that her children requested her to know about her genetic history.
When Lee looked for her mother, she was surprised to find a package of over 60 handwritten letters. She found her mother on the phonebook the moment she searched for it. The mother and the daughter met with each other for the first time in 77 years. The 102-year-old mother has now become friends with her daughter.
Lee's daughter, Cathy LaGrow, wrote a book on the reunion. The book called "The Waiting" said the mother-daughter relation between the two has been replaced by a sisterly camaraderie. They have even started dressing alike, it added.
The story was originally published in the New York Times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Reportedly Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone