What is 'Mono Mono' Twin Pregnancy?
By Silvana Peters | May 12, 2014 3:44 PM EST
Monoamniotic twins or often referred to as "Mono Mono" are identical twins who share both a placenta and an amniotic sac, but have separate umbilical cords.
Basically, the twin babies share the same living space while in the mother's womb. This type of pregnancy is incredibly rare and happens once in every 10,000 births, according to experts.
Mono Mono can be detected by ultrasound prior to birth when no membrane between fetuses are present. There several health risks for monoamniotic twins due to the closeness within the amniotic sac. Mothers with Mono Mono twins are kept under frequent fetal monitoring.
A recent study titled, "Monochorionic Monoamniotic Twins: Neonatal Outcome," concludes " Monochorionic monoamniotic twins remain a group at risk for cord entanglement, congenital malformations, TTS and prematurity. Although their neonatal mortality and morbidity is high, outcomes for survival are better than anticipated."
The recommended delivery period is somewhere between 32 and 34 weeks as cord accidents may occur at any time. There is a consensus among physicians that during this stage available neonatal care must be provided so that mono mono twins delivered during this period have a good chance of survival. Birth is usually done by cesarean section considering in vaginal delivery there is an increased risk of cord accidents.
A Mother's Day Gift
On Sarah Thistlethwaite from Ohio delivered a rare "mono mono" twin girls, Jenna and Jillian, who were holding hands during birth. Born at the Akron General Medical Center, the Associated Press reported the sisters were finally taken off ventilators Sunday afternoon, Mother's Day and were held by their parents Sarah and Bill.
Dr. Melissa Mancuso, who helped delivered the twins, shared Sarah's pregnancy held only minor issues.
"It's just hard to put into words how amazing it feels to know the girls are OK," the doctor said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- Jennifer Aniston Prefers Natural Ageing; Slams Cosmetic Surgery
- Breakthrough in Science: Genetic Recipe of Lizard Tail Generation Will Help Humans Get New Limbs
- The Chance To See a 125-Million Years Old Dinosaur Footprints
- Top Health Issues about the Consumption of Noodles
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop