Rafael Nadal Wins Fourth Madrid Masters Title
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 12, 2014 3:36 PM EST
Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates after winning his men's singles tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the ATP World Tour Finals in London
Nadal defeated Ken Nishikori (2-6,6-4,3-0). Nadal's Japanese opponent started complaining of back pain in the second set and was eventually forced to withdraw in the third. When asked about how he felt about winning the title due to a withdrawal, Nadal said: "It's just part of the tour and sometimes these things happen unfortunately. I feel sorry for him because when someone is playing as well as he has been and they are struck down by something like that it's a real hard blow. Something similar happened to me in Australia earlier this year so I know what I'm talking about, especially in terms of an important match."
Nadal is no stranger to career difficulties due to injury. He has been coming on and off injury for the past several seasons while suffering from various injuries such as tendonitis on both his knees as well as back injuries.
Nadal also has some words of wisdom for his opponent who has been climbing the rankings rapidly in recent months: "Becoming world number one is quite difficult. At the end of the day I don't want to put extra pressure on someone when they're playing well or take them down a peg when things aren't going as well for them. You have to keep your feet on the ground and keep a level head. Kei was very promising a few years ago but suffered a series of injuries, and when something like that happens it can make things very difficult. If he continues playing like this, I have no doubt he'll break into the Top 8 in the world"
Nadal is set to play the Rome Masters next week and the French Open, a tournament in which he is a clear favourite, on May 25-June 8, 2014, where he will be gunning to secure his eighth title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar