Rafael Nadal Wins Fourth Madrid Masters Title
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 12, 2014 3:36 PM EST
Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates after winning his men's singles tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the ATP World Tour Finals in London
Nadal defeated Ken Nishikori (2-6,6-4,3-0). Nadal's Japanese opponent started complaining of back pain in the second set and was eventually forced to withdraw in the third. When asked about how he felt about winning the title due to a withdrawal, Nadal said: "It's just part of the tour and sometimes these things happen unfortunately. I feel sorry for him because when someone is playing as well as he has been and they are struck down by something like that it's a real hard blow. Something similar happened to me in Australia earlier this year so I know what I'm talking about, especially in terms of an important match."
Nadal is no stranger to career difficulties due to injury. He has been coming on and off injury for the past several seasons while suffering from various injuries such as tendonitis on both his knees as well as back injuries.
Nadal also has some words of wisdom for his opponent who has been climbing the rankings rapidly in recent months: "Becoming world number one is quite difficult. At the end of the day I don't want to put extra pressure on someone when they're playing well or take them down a peg when things aren't going as well for them. You have to keep your feet on the ground and keep a level head. Kei was very promising a few years ago but suffered a series of injuries, and when something like that happens it can make things very difficult. If he continues playing like this, I have no doubt he'll break into the Top 8 in the world"
Nadal is set to play the Rome Masters next week and the French Open, a tournament in which he is a clear favourite, on May 25-June 8, 2014, where he will be gunning to secure his eighth title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James