Rafael Nadal Wins Fourth Madrid Masters Title
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 12, 2014 3:36 PM EST
Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates after winning his men's singles tennis match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the ATP World Tour Finals in London
Nadal defeated Ken Nishikori (2-6,6-4,3-0). Nadal's Japanese opponent started complaining of back pain in the second set and was eventually forced to withdraw in the third. When asked about how he felt about winning the title due to a withdrawal, Nadal said: "It's just part of the tour and sometimes these things happen unfortunately. I feel sorry for him because when someone is playing as well as he has been and they are struck down by something like that it's a real hard blow. Something similar happened to me in Australia earlier this year so I know what I'm talking about, especially in terms of an important match."
Nadal is no stranger to career difficulties due to injury. He has been coming on and off injury for the past several seasons while suffering from various injuries such as tendonitis on both his knees as well as back injuries.
Nadal also has some words of wisdom for his opponent who has been climbing the rankings rapidly in recent months: "Becoming world number one is quite difficult. At the end of the day I don't want to put extra pressure on someone when they're playing well or take them down a peg when things aren't going as well for them. You have to keep your feet on the ground and keep a level head. Kei was very promising a few years ago but suffered a series of injuries, and when something like that happens it can make things very difficult. If he continues playing like this, I have no doubt he'll break into the Top 8 in the world"
Nadal is set to play the Rome Masters next week and the French Open, a tournament in which he is a clear favourite, on May 25-June 8, 2014, where he will be gunning to secure his eighth title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Kate Upton And BF Detroit Tigers’ Justin Verlander Spotted Shopping Post Nude Photo Leak Scandal
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money