Jeremy Lin News: JLin 'Next Superstar' at Sixth Man Position
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 12, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Jeremy Lin, Houston Rockets point guard, amid speculations of being traded at some point this offseason, has accepted his sixth man role with open arms. He wanted to pattern his game from one of the finest players to ever come off the bench in the league, San Antonio Spurs' Manu Ginobili.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
After playing his first season in Texas as a starter, Lin was relegated to a backup job behind Patrick Beverley. But the Asian-American star didn't see it as a liability but a role he has to live up.
In an interview with Jonathan Feigan of Houston Chronicle, the former Harvard University standout wanted to use the offseason as an opportunity to improve his skills and hopefully become the next Ginobili of a star-studded squad like the Rockets.
"Lin said wants to model more of his approach after Manu Ginobili. Said he'll ignore trade rumors, having gotten used to them," the NBA insider posted on his Twitter account.
Meanwhile, Lin also shared his assessment of an up-and-down year in an interview with Jenny Dial Creech of Houston Chronicle, pointing out he had a hard time adjusting to fluctuating playing time he received from Rockets coaching staff throughout the season.
"I think this year was an up-and-down year," Lin told Creech. "A lot of good things, a lot of bad things, definitely an up-and-down year. A lot of adjusting. I would go through stretches where I played 35-40 minutes consistently; then I would go back down to 15-20."
Head Coach Kevin McHale, who is expected to return for the next season as Rockets bench tactician, said he loves to see Lin and Beverley play more together next season after rashes of injuries prevented the two solid backcourt players from building enough consistency toward the end of the season.
"They really complement each other," McHale said. "They have different strengths and weaknesses, and they are great friends and really look out for each other."
Lin saw his statistical metrics dropping across all categories after averaging 12.5 points, 4.1 assists and 2.6 rebounds per game throughout the 2013-14 season. But the season is not completely a waste as he has become a more efficient player than he ever was before.
With the plan of adding Ginobili's game and mentality to his arsenal next season, the sky is certainly the limit to Linsanity moving forward. He's going to be the next "Sixth Man Superstar" in-the-making.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports