Jeremy Lin News: JLin 'Next Superstar' at Sixth Man Position
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 12, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Jeremy Lin, Houston Rockets point guard, amid speculations of being traded at some point this offseason, has accepted his sixth man role with open arms. He wanted to pattern his game from one of the finest players to ever come off the bench in the league, San Antonio Spurs' Manu Ginobili.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
After playing his first season in Texas as a starter, Lin was relegated to a backup job behind Patrick Beverley. But the Asian-American star didn't see it as a liability but a role he has to live up.
In an interview with Jonathan Feigan of Houston Chronicle, the former Harvard University standout wanted to use the offseason as an opportunity to improve his skills and hopefully become the next Ginobili of a star-studded squad like the Rockets.
"Lin said wants to model more of his approach after Manu Ginobili. Said he'll ignore trade rumors, having gotten used to them," the NBA insider posted on his Twitter account.
Meanwhile, Lin also shared his assessment of an up-and-down year in an interview with Jenny Dial Creech of Houston Chronicle, pointing out he had a hard time adjusting to fluctuating playing time he received from Rockets coaching staff throughout the season.
"I think this year was an up-and-down year," Lin told Creech. "A lot of good things, a lot of bad things, definitely an up-and-down year. A lot of adjusting. I would go through stretches where I played 35-40 minutes consistently; then I would go back down to 15-20."
Head Coach Kevin McHale, who is expected to return for the next season as Rockets bench tactician, said he loves to see Lin and Beverley play more together next season after rashes of injuries prevented the two solid backcourt players from building enough consistency toward the end of the season.
"They really complement each other," McHale said. "They have different strengths and weaknesses, and they are great friends and really look out for each other."
Lin saw his statistical metrics dropping across all categories after averaging 12.5 points, 4.1 assists and 2.6 rebounds per game throughout the 2013-14 season. But the season is not completely a waste as he has become a more efficient player than he ever was before.
With the plan of adding Ginobili's game and mentality to his arsenal next season, the sky is certainly the limit to Linsanity moving forward. He's going to be the next "Sixth Man Superstar" in-the-making.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown