Apple iPhone 6: 5 Things to Look Forward to New Smartphone
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 12, 2014 2:31 PM EST
With all the early rumors going around for the past few months, there are five things to look forward to on the new smartphone.
According to CNET, more than 90 percent of the 80 million units expected to be released by Apple around September will come in 4.7-inch model. There is also a small possibility of Apple coming up with a 5.5-inch phablet-size smartphone toward the end of the year or early next year. Either way, both models will be few notches bigger than the current iPhone 5s, which has a screen size of 4 inches. Since this will be the first time in 7 years that Apple will change its screen size, developers will most likely need to adjust the images and assets of their apps to fit the increasing resolution of the bigger display.
Mac Rumors cited the predictions of Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo for improved resolution of the two rumored iPhone 6 sizes. The analyst predicted the 4.7-inch units will come with a display of 1334 x 750 or 326 parts per inch (ppi) while the 5.5-inch models will have 1920 x 1080 or 401 ppi display. Reports suggested Apple will shift from Corning Gorilla Glass to the super hard sapphire crystal for future displays. This expensive glass is currently used for camera lens and home buttons of iPhone devices.
Thinner And Lighter Design
Speculations also emerged that the upcoming iPhone 6 smartphone will have a thinner and lighter design. According to Mac Rumors, the traditional 0.6 mm LED backlight in previous Apple gadgets have shifted to 0.4 mm models with the possibility of having the device as thin as iPod touch.
More Powerful Processor
Mac Rumors cited the upcoming iPhone 6 will most likely leap to the 20 nm A8 chip from TSMC. This will be a huge change from the previous 64-bit A7 28 nm chip manufactured by Samsung. The A8 chips will have quad-core 64 bit processor and quad-core graphics which will make the processor smaller and more energy-efficient. Stuff tv also predicted that the gadget will have 2 GB RAM and 128 GB of storage capacity, although there might be a considerable spike in the gadget's price once it will hit the market.
iPhone 6 will have the same camera megapixel as its predecessors, based on reports from Mac Rumors saying it will have a larger aperture, a new "True Tone" dual-LED flash and enhanced software. It is predicted the phone's camera will have improved optical image stabilization (OIS). But recent rumors also suggested the gadget will have electronic image stabilization instead.
With all the improvements cited, Apple fans are looking forward to grab a unit of iPhone 6 once it hits the market later this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics