'Best Mother’s Day Present Ever': Ohio Woman Gives Birth to Rare ‘Mono Mono’ Twins; Jenna and Jillian Hold Hands Soon After Birth
By jaskiran kaur | May 12, 2014 1:23 PM EST
On Friday, May 9, 2014, Ohio woman Sarah Thistlethwaite gave birth to identical twins. She delivered rare "mono mono" twins just two days before Mother's Day. Could it be more beautiful?
According to Akron Beacon Journal, Sarah's daughters Jenna and Jillian shared the "same amniotic sac and placenta." The delivery took place at 2:41 pm at Akron Medical General Center. The mother of two, underwent Caesarean section after 57 days of complete bed rest and medical monitoring at the hospital.
Sarah and her husband Bill Thistlethwaite were gifted with two newborn babies who were already holding each other's hands. This left Sarah emotional and overwhelmed with feelings of joy.
"They're already best friends. "I can't believe they were holding hands. That's amazing," told Sarah to the newspaper.
Akron Children Hospital's Perinatologists Melissa Mancuso and Katherine Wolfe along with resident Dani Taylor, did the C-section and helped Sarah in giving birth to her "mono mono" or "monoamniotic" twins. This is an extremely rare case. Such events occur only "in about 1 in 10,000 pregnancies and 1 to 5 percent of all twins," according to Melissa Maucuso. She happens to be the patient's physician and the director of Children's Reginonal Fetal Treatment Center.
The Doctor told the paper, "mono mono" twins are the "rarest types." Their birth involves "highest risk" since they are sharing their mother's amniotic sac and placenta. In such cases, babies' lives are threatened due to the risk of entanglement of umbilical cord. If that happens, it may interrupt blood supply to one of the twins, leading to their pre-birth death. Risks also include birth defects. However, Jenna and Jillian did not show signs of any birth defects.
Nurse Amy McGuire, who happens to be the director of labor and delivery, described the event as "a complete miracle" and Sarah described it as "the best Mother's Day present ever."
At the time of birth, Jenna was 4 pounds, 2 pounces and 17 inches and Jillian was 3 pounds, 13 ounces and 17.5 inches. There is a difference of 48seconds, between the newly born "mono mono" twins. Babies are said to be premature babies who were born at 33 weeks. Sarah and Bill Thistlethwaite also have a 15 month old son named Jaxon.
Meanwhile, Chron.com presented an update on the newborn "mono mono" twins and said that they are doing well. According to the report, the proud parents held their babies in their arms on the special occasion of Mother's Day. Jenna and Jillian were removed from ventilators on the same day and they are now able to breathe on their own.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- NASA Scientists Advance Understanding of Climate Change With The Help Of IceCube
- NASA: Early Earth Likely To Have Been Hit By Giant Asteroids
- Changes in Global Vegetation to Be Tracked Through Two New Instruments: NASA
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- NASA to Unveil Mars 2020 Rover Instruments
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install