'Best Mother’s Day Present Ever': Ohio Woman Gives Birth to Rare ‘Mono Mono’ Twins; Jenna and Jillian Hold Hands Soon After Birth
By jaskiran kaur | May 12, 2014 1:23 PM EST
On Friday, May 9, 2014, Ohio woman Sarah Thistlethwaite gave birth to identical twins. She delivered rare "mono mono" twins just two days before Mother's Day. Could it be more beautiful?
According to Akron Beacon Journal, Sarah's daughters Jenna and Jillian shared the "same amniotic sac and placenta." The delivery took place at 2:41 pm at Akron Medical General Center. The mother of two, underwent Caesarean section after 57 days of complete bed rest and medical monitoring at the hospital.
Sarah and her husband Bill Thistlethwaite were gifted with two newborn babies who were already holding each other's hands. This left Sarah emotional and overwhelmed with feelings of joy.
"They're already best friends. "I can't believe they were holding hands. That's amazing," told Sarah to the newspaper.
Akron Children Hospital's Perinatologists Melissa Mancuso and Katherine Wolfe along with resident Dani Taylor, did the C-section and helped Sarah in giving birth to her "mono mono" or "monoamniotic" twins. This is an extremely rare case. Such events occur only "in about 1 in 10,000 pregnancies and 1 to 5 percent of all twins," according to Melissa Maucuso. She happens to be the patient's physician and the director of Children's Reginonal Fetal Treatment Center.
The Doctor told the paper, "mono mono" twins are the "rarest types." Their birth involves "highest risk" since they are sharing their mother's amniotic sac and placenta. In such cases, babies' lives are threatened due to the risk of entanglement of umbilical cord. If that happens, it may interrupt blood supply to one of the twins, leading to their pre-birth death. Risks also include birth defects. However, Jenna and Jillian did not show signs of any birth defects.
Nurse Amy McGuire, who happens to be the director of labor and delivery, described the event as "a complete miracle" and Sarah described it as "the best Mother's Day present ever."
At the time of birth, Jenna was 4 pounds, 2 pounces and 17 inches and Jillian was 3 pounds, 13 ounces and 17.5 inches. There is a difference of 48seconds, between the newly born "mono mono" twins. Babies are said to be premature babies who were born at 33 weeks. Sarah and Bill Thistlethwaite also have a 15 month old son named Jaxon.
Meanwhile, Chron.com presented an update on the newborn "mono mono" twins and said that they are doing well. According to the report, the proud parents held their babies in their arms on the special occasion of Mother's Day. Jenna and Jillian were removed from ventilators on the same day and they are now able to breathe on their own.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop