'Best Mother’s Day Present Ever': Ohio Woman Gives Birth to Rare ‘Mono Mono’ Twins; Jenna and Jillian Hold Hands Soon After Birth
By jaskiran kaur | May 12, 2014 1:23 PM EST
On Friday, May 9, 2014, Ohio woman Sarah Thistlethwaite gave birth to identical twins. She delivered rare "mono mono" twins just two days before Mother's Day. Could it be more beautiful?
According to Akron Beacon Journal, Sarah's daughters Jenna and Jillian shared the "same amniotic sac and placenta." The delivery took place at 2:41 pm at Akron Medical General Center. The mother of two, underwent Caesarean section after 57 days of complete bed rest and medical monitoring at the hospital.
Sarah and her husband Bill Thistlethwaite were gifted with two newborn babies who were already holding each other's hands. This left Sarah emotional and overwhelmed with feelings of joy.
"They're already best friends. "I can't believe they were holding hands. That's amazing," told Sarah to the newspaper.
Akron Children Hospital's Perinatologists Melissa Mancuso and Katherine Wolfe along with resident Dani Taylor, did the C-section and helped Sarah in giving birth to her "mono mono" or "monoamniotic" twins. This is an extremely rare case. Such events occur only "in about 1 in 10,000 pregnancies and 1 to 5 percent of all twins," according to Melissa Maucuso. She happens to be the patient's physician and the director of Children's Reginonal Fetal Treatment Center.
The Doctor told the paper, "mono mono" twins are the "rarest types." Their birth involves "highest risk" since they are sharing their mother's amniotic sac and placenta. In such cases, babies' lives are threatened due to the risk of entanglement of umbilical cord. If that happens, it may interrupt blood supply to one of the twins, leading to their pre-birth death. Risks also include birth defects. However, Jenna and Jillian did not show signs of any birth defects.
Nurse Amy McGuire, who happens to be the director of labor and delivery, described the event as "a complete miracle" and Sarah described it as "the best Mother's Day present ever."
At the time of birth, Jenna was 4 pounds, 2 pounces and 17 inches and Jillian was 3 pounds, 13 ounces and 17.5 inches. There is a difference of 48seconds, between the newly born "mono mono" twins. Babies are said to be premature babies who were born at 33 weeks. Sarah and Bill Thistlethwaite also have a 15 month old son named Jaxon.
Meanwhile, Chron.com presented an update on the newborn "mono mono" twins and said that they are doing well. According to the report, the proud parents held their babies in their arms on the special occasion of Mother's Day. Jenna and Jillian were removed from ventilators on the same day and they are now able to breathe on their own.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet