Eminem Released New Song Video 'Headlights' on Mother's Day to Start A New Relationship with Estranged Mother, Debbie Mathers
By Annie Dee | May 12, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Eminem released a new track entitled "Headlights" and the track's video was dropped on Mother's day, May 11. Both the song's lyrics and video have Eminem pouring his heart out about how sorry he feels about badmouthing his mother in his music over the years. The song and video is said to be an attempt at reconciling with his estranged mother, Debbie Mathers.
At 41, the Grammy award-winning singer seems to want nothing else but to have a new relationship with his mother. To start over, the singer knows that he should bury the hatchet first with his estranged mother. This is why, his new song Headlights and the accompanying video is full of apologetic lyrics, which demonstrate how Eminem is sorry for constantly saying bad words against his mother for the past years.
The video starts with Eminem saying "I Know I let you down ma", and then it went to various scenes showing vivid and painful looking flashbacks of how Eminem spent his childhood. Several scenes showed shabby-looking house, shattered Christmas tree ornaments as well as Eminem and his mom arguing. what made the video touching is that the whole video is shot from a first person perspective. Viewers can feel how difficult it was for Eminem growing up.
Eminem has been quite vocal about his anger towards his mom, especially in his songs. In one of his songs, "Cleanin' Out My Closet," Eminem was plainly lashing out against his mom.
"But put yourself in my position; just try to envision witnessing your momma popping prescription pills in the kitchen B**ching that someone's always going through her purse and sh*t's missing going through public housing systems, victim of Munchhausen's Syndrome My whole life I was made to believe I was sick when I wasn't til I grew up, now I blew up, it makes you sick to ya stomach Doesn't it? Wasn't it the reason you made that CD for me Ma? So you could try to justify the way you treated me Ma? But guess what? You're getting older now and it's cold when you're lonely And Nathan's growing up so quick he's gonna know that you're phony."
In his movie, 8 Mile, which is based on his own life, his mother was portrayed as verbally abusive and alcoholic.
Now that he is 41, Eminem might have realized he is not getting any younger and certainly not his mother, which is why Eminem is more than willing to put the past behind him, especially when it comes to his mother. Maybe this song of him apologizing can be the first step in mending their relationship. This may just be one of the best Mother's day tribute ever.
Below is the said video:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal