"Hashtags" - A Quick Look with its Effects to Modern Social Media
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 12, 2014 1:17 PM EST
The "Hashtag" or previously called the pound symbol has become part of modern popular culture. It began as a way to search for trending topics, tagging posts, and later evolved in to use of almost any purpose whatsoever.
The Twitter symbol is displayed at the post where the stock is traded on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, in this November 15, 2013, file photo. Twitter Inc shares slipped on December 2, 2013, after some of the five lead underwriters of its initial public offering said the social media firm may not achieve Facebook-like scale and its stock may not rise much higher. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/Files
The official creator of the hashtag function on the internet is Chris Messina. He is a UX designer (User Experience) who now works for Google. The hashtag's function was created when Twitter in its early days had users complaining about the difficulty to sort or search groups. Messina injected the pound sign as a tracking tool into the tweet itself. By simply adding the single character, he made a great new way to sort content without having to develop a new system for the website.
Years passed and the tagging system became an indispensible function, becoming a cultural icon that shaped the current social media. Other social media giants followed suit and adopted the hashtag as it became undeniably popular.
According to social media research studies, Hashtags are keywords great for finding a target audience, which is now utilised by big businesses. Before, hashtags were only used for personal posts. But it has now proven to be an effective tool by any individual, group, or company to attract more people to see your content. Including hashtags in posts increases the potential traffic for a certain site, thus making any online content to reach more people. For example, in the past huge storms and tragedies in many countries, the hashtag functions spread helpful information to the public on how to send in aid and more.
A research shown through an infographic says that "Tweets that include hashtags receive 2X more engagement than those without," quoted from Social Caffeine.
The hashtag has its fair share of misuse where they appear in places, or issues that serve no sensible function at all. "It is a command. The four perpendicular lines have become shorthand for 'share this and share this now.' Hashtags turn a phrase into a slogan," reported Huffington Post.
Ruth Page, professor at the University of Leicester who focuses on social media and language, said that "the hashtag says, 'This is something you need to have your attention drawn to right at this moment,' and 'This is something you can get involved with and be associated with and show your support for,'" in the same report from HP.
Other social media experts say that hashtags evolved into promoting an endless cycle of spreading rebroadcasts where actions afterwards aren't truly made.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Destiny Beta Now into Maintenance; Xbox One Version Prepped for 1080p in Final Run
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- PS4 News: Developments for Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered and a Possible New PS4/PS Vita Game
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June