Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Users on Verizon to Get KitKat Update on May 23; Galaxy S4 And S4 Mini on May 28
By Judith Aparri | May 12, 2014 12:44 PM EST
The May 23 update is actually not for Note 3, but also for Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S4 Mini devices. The Android update will come to the Galaxy S4 smartphones five days after, which will be on May 28.
This May has seen more Android updates for Note 3, specifically in Orange, France, Meteor, Ireland, Portugal and Brazil. They either got the update via over-the-air (OTA) or Samsung Kies. Some carriers have announced the updates to their subscribers while others are holding it for specific release dates. Verizon Wireless is one of those.
While known to be almost always the last carrier to push for updates to its Android users, Verizon does an extensive testing before releasing updates to guarantee stability. The Big Red carrier does not want to send broken builds to its users.
This strategy at times goes against Verizon as many customers transferred already to other carriers because they do not receive major updates soon. But there are many cases that other carriers have to stop various updates rollout because of bugs. Verizon wants to play the "better safe than sorry" game with its subscribers.
Galaxy Note 2/3 and Galaxy S4/S4 Mini owners should start receiving their Android 4.4.2 KitKat upgrades from the Big Red on the cited dates through OTA deployment.
There is no guarantee how the carrier will finish its thorough testing of the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Galaxy Note 3 and the other three Samsung devices.
Thus the cited dates should be taken lightly until Verizon itself will announce the Android updates. It usually does so in its official changelog for its smartphone portfolio prior to the actual release.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery