Elin Nordegren Graduates, Takes a Swing at Ex-Husband Tiger Woods in Speech [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | May 12, 2014 11:04 AM EST
Elin Nordegren has taken a swing at her doomed marriage to Tiger Woods in her graduation speech. Four years after her divorce from the golf prodigy, the Swedish beauty has finally finished her psychology degree at the Rollins College in Florida on Saturday.
Graduating with a 3.96 GPA, Nordegren, 34, was chosen to deliver a speech before her fellow graduates as the outstanding graduating senior. She enrolled nine years ago at the college, but had to take breaks from her education when she gave birth to her two children with Woods, six-year-old Sam and five-year-old Charlie.
She did not name Woods in her speech, but there were references to her experiences as a scorned wife of the champion golfer.
“I have been called a woman with no words in the media, and criticised for not talking very much,” Nordegren said at the start of her speech.
“When I entered my student advisor office in the fall of 2005, I was 25 years old, I had just recently moved to America, I was married without children. Today, nine years later, I’m a proud American and I have two beautiful children... but I’m no longer married,” she said to the laughing audience who enthusiastically cheered for her.
Her then-husband’s extra-marital affairs had been widely reported in the media in the late 2009. It was claimed that Nordegren, upon learning of his numerous mistresses, chased Woods out of their Orlando mansion with a golf club, though Woods had denied that rumour.
Their divorce was finalised in August 2010, with Nordegren receiving U$100 million settlement.
“It was right after I had taken Communications and the Media that I was unexpectedly thrust into the media limelight,” Nordegren said, referring to being a tabloid fodder after Woods’ mistresses came forward one by one.
“I probably should have taken more notes in that class.”
She continued, “My psychology and law class helped me through some of the most challenging times of my life that involved legal matters. The information not only helped me understand the complexity of the legal system, but it also offered me a place of peace in the wild storm of my personal life.”
Nordegren also paid tribute to her mother, who taught her and her siblings that a person can have a career later in their life. Her mother, Barbro Holmberg, is a governor in Sweden today.
Nordegren avoided media interviews during the downfall of her marriage to Woods, just allowing the scandal to die down on its own.
She appeared to have an amicable relationship with Woods these days.
According to Us magazine, she sought out his current girlfriend Lindsey Vonn’s friendship because she knew the Olympic gold medallist ski racer would be spending a lot of time with her children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 12-Year Old's Racy Photos And Erotica Literature Discovered In iPad School Provided
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao Boxing Education Institute to Open in China
- Prince William & Kate Middleton First Autum Engagement, Royal Couple Opening Oxford University’s China Centre
- New Zealand Teachers Union Rejects Government’s Education Plan
- Teen Arrested For Shooting Dinosaurs In A Story He Wrote
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones