IOC Denies There Is Plan for Olympic Summer Games to be Held in London
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 12, 2014 8:54 AM EST
Despite describing two weeks ago that the preparations for the Summer Olympic Games being made by Brazilian city Rio de Janeiro being the worst he has seen, International Olympic Committee (IOC) Vice President John Coates denied that London will take over and host the international sports event in 2016.
Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo da Costa Paes waves Olympic flag at London Olympics' closing ceremony
He responded to a report by the Evening Standard in London that the British capital was being sounded out by the IOC to take over Rio's hosting job.
"That's (London) a nonsense. There's absolutely no plan for London as an alternative. Absolutely no plan B," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Coates.
"There's no alternative of going back to another city. The villages are sold. Same as saying come back to Sydney. Our village is gone. But we will work through this and get to Brazil."
Coates was quoted as saying in an Olympic forum in Sydney on April 29, "We have become very concerned. They are not ready in many, many ways. And this is a city that's got social issues that also have to be addressed; a country that's also trying to deal with the FIFA World Cup coming up in a few months."
Brazil plays host to the FIFA World Cup 2014 with the first games scheduled in June, but four football stadiums have yet to be finished.
Coates said he is confident that Brazil would be able to address the problems because of expert people on the ground, namely representatives from the IOC international federations, organising committee and three levels of government that he expects to band together and save the games.
He added the AOC , which he is also president, will announce a television broadcaster for the Rio games by June.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft