IOC Denies There Is Plan for Olympic Summer Games to be Held in London
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 12, 2014 8:54 AM EST
Despite describing two weeks ago that the preparations for the Summer Olympic Games being made by Brazilian city Rio de Janeiro being the worst he has seen, International Olympic Committee (IOC) Vice President John Coates denied that London will take over and host the international sports event in 2016.
Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo da Costa Paes waves Olympic flag at London Olympics' closing ceremony
He responded to a report by the Evening Standard in London that the British capital was being sounded out by the IOC to take over Rio's hosting job.
"That's (London) a nonsense. There's absolutely no plan for London as an alternative. Absolutely no plan B," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Coates.
"There's no alternative of going back to another city. The villages are sold. Same as saying come back to Sydney. Our village is gone. But we will work through this and get to Brazil."
Coates was quoted as saying in an Olympic forum in Sydney on April 29, "We have become very concerned. They are not ready in many, many ways. And this is a city that's got social issues that also have to be addressed; a country that's also trying to deal with the FIFA World Cup coming up in a few months."
Brazil plays host to the FIFA World Cup 2014 with the first games scheduled in June, but four football stadiums have yet to be finished.
Coates said he is confident that Brazil would be able to address the problems because of expert people on the ground, namely representatives from the IOC international federations, organising committee and three levels of government that he expects to band together and save the games.
He added the AOC , which he is also president, will announce a television broadcaster for the Rio games by June.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’