Boxing News 2014: Marcos Maidana Calls Floyd Mayweather a Baby Girl; Floyd Sr Not in Favor of Rematch With Son
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 12, 2014 8:32 AM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather is known for speaking his mind, a trait he apparently got from his father who is not shy of making his opinion known.
Boxing fans would be surprised to know that Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana is capable also of trash talk. After his defeat in the ring which Maidana disputes and claims he was robbed of his title, upon arrival in Ezeiza, Argentina, the boxer had this to say which would likely invite a reply from the Mayweathers: "Mayweather is a baby girl, all the time trying to find excuses.:
World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. and World Boxing Association (WBA) champion Marcos Maidana of Argentina face off during an official weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 2, 2014. The two champions will meet in a WBC/WBA unification fight at the arena on May 3. REUTERS/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING)
He said that boxers are often intimidated by Money May because of the show he puts on the ring, but Maidana insists that it is not real. "Every time I hit him he did not know what to do."
There appears to be some truth to what the Argentinean champion says because he gave Mayweather a cut on the right eye which caused the latter difficulty for two rounds, although the referee ruled it was an accidental head butt.
Maidana is demanding a rematch now. Mayweather has said he is open to meeting again Maidana in the ring in September.
The elder Mayweather had previously agreed to the rematch, but reportedly has changed his mind. Hustle Boss had quoted the father of the boxer as saying, "It was a superb fighter against an mma fighter. He (Maidana) hit him on the balls. He hit him on the hip. He hit him with his head, butted his eyes. Beat him in the back of the head."
Mayweather Sr added, "Maidana don't deserve nothin'. With all that stuff that Maidana did ... if I was Floyd, I wouldn't fight him again."
However, it seems that for many boxing fans, the bigger interest is not on the Mayweather-Maidana rematch but a Pacquiao-Mayweather match. Among those who have recently pushed for the rematch is 1970s boxing icon and former heavyweight title holder Muhammad Ali.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6