‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Jess Berney Wows Coaches with Operatic Vocals, But Not All Viewers are Impressed [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | May 12, 2014 6:13 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” has found its own Susan Boyle in the person of Jess Berney during the blind audition on Sunday, but some of the viewers were not impressed.
With her Mohawk hairstyle, 24-year-old Berney from Adelaide gave audience the impression that she was there to sing a rock song. But instead of loud tunes, she belted out a hypnotic melody with her rendition of “Pie Jesu.”
Her angelic voice was unexpected to say the least. She even admitted herself what everybody must have been thinking, “I don’t think my voice matches my look at all.”
As the blind audition has never been about a person’s appearance, the coaches had no idea that the impressive voice was coming from her until they all turned their chairs to express their interest.
Will.i.am, Kylie Minogue, Joel Madden and Ricky Martin all thought the young woman was phenomenon. They all delivered their pitch to Berney, telling her how much they wanted her on their team.
Martin, who was the last to turn after some cajoling from the three, was the fortunate one to be picked by Berney, though.
According to Berney, she has had no formal voice training, and she only learned to sing as such in their local parish where her father is a minister. She was joined backstage by her mother and her fiancée.
Her audition was reminiscent of Boyle’s audition on “Britain’s Got Talent” in 2009. Boyle’s modest appearance provoked the audience members and the judges’ cynical attitude when she entered the stage, but she quickly changed their minds after belting out her rendition of “I Dreamed a Dream.”
The YouTube video of her audition became viral, garnering millions of views in just a few days.
However, while Boyle’s audition was met with almost unanimously positive reaction on social media, Berney’s was divided. There were some people who weren’t impressed with her operatic vocals.
When last year’s runner-up Luke Kennedy frankly tweeted, “I did not dig that,” his followers agreed, with some saying that Berney’s voice was a bit “screechy.”
@lukeckennedy - Nice voice but not "the voice" Very sharp in the high notes and not a real opera voice. Not bringing it up from the toes!!
— Kylie Pickett (@Lavishka) May 11, 2014
@lukeckennedy have to agree, I just didn't know what was happening there — Isabella (@Isabellaa_R5) May 11, 2014
Some viewers simply thought that Berney’s voice was amazing.
@TheVoiceAU so angelic... Beautiful
— Rachel Sumaru (@rsumaru) May 11, 2014
@TheVoiceAU @jessberney truly stunning!!!! I was awed!!! — Caitlin Coleman (@ce_coleman21) May 11, 2014
Watch Berney’s performance:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks