Where Will Pau Gasol Go? Brothers Reunion Possible in Memphis; Chicago Also an “Interesting” Choice
By James Patrick Quizon | May 11, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Pau Gasol is one of the top free agents in the offseason and the Spanish center has mentioned a few NBA teams he’s interested in playing for.
“I’m not ruling anything out,” Gasol said in interview with marca.com. That could practically mean anything as the veteran center is on twilight of his career but the Spaniard’s one requirement is that “he plays for a contender.”
NBA :Sacramento Kings at Los Angeles Lakers
Gasol Destination #1: Back to Los Angeles
“Of course, I hope the Lakers will make an offer - one that is good enough for me to consider - but I’m open to any offers that I would consider interesting and motivating for my present and my future,” said Gasol in the same interview.
Financially, the Lakers have potentially five players under contract for the 2014-2015 season and total salaries amount to roughly 35 million. Yes there’s space to offer a bigger contract but L.A.’s priority wouldn’t be Gasol. So unless Pau decides to have a major paycut (unlike Kobe Bryant), there’s a slim chance the he’ll be back in Los Angeles.
Gasol Destination #2: Bro-Bears in Memphis
How about a Gasol-Gasol frontcourt in Memphis? It worked for the Spanish National Team so maybe it can work in Tennessee.
“The city of Memphis attracts me because it’s a city I know, there’s an opportunity of playing with my brother and they have a solid team,” said Gasol who was drafted by the Grizzlies in 2001 and played there for six and a half seasons.
While Gasol is open to playing with his brother, the Grizzlies may have to deal out other players first to open a roster spot if the salaries are considered. Power forward Zach Randolph has a player option for 16.5 million and as a team the Grizzlies have a payroll of around 64.1M. Can the Grizzlies be creative enough to open up space for a player like Pau?
Gasol Destination #3: Running with the Bulls
With a come-backing Derrick Rose, a defensive system in place (courtesy of Tom Thibodeau) and a bunch of players who already know their roles (Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson and Jimmy Butler among others).
The Bulls have the capability to be creative financially with an option to cut/amnesty power forward Carlos Boozer. Alongside NBA Defensive Player of Year Noah and the Chicago defense, Gasol’s main weakness (read: defense) can be hidden and they sure can use a power forward/center that can provide a post presence and a mid-range game.
Which team is best fit for Gasol's skill set? And Which team will Gasol choose?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales