Where Will Pau Gasol Go? Brothers Reunion Possible in Memphis; Chicago Also an “Interesting” Choice
By James Patrick Quizon | May 11, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Pau Gasol is one of the top free agents in the offseason and the Spanish center has mentioned a few NBA teams he’s interested in playing for.
“I’m not ruling anything out,” Gasol said in interview with marca.com. That could practically mean anything as the veteran center is on twilight of his career but the Spaniard’s one requirement is that “he plays for a contender.”
NBA :Sacramento Kings at Los Angeles Lakers
Gasol Destination #1: Back to Los Angeles
“Of course, I hope the Lakers will make an offer - one that is good enough for me to consider - but I’m open to any offers that I would consider interesting and motivating for my present and my future,” said Gasol in the same interview.
Financially, the Lakers have potentially five players under contract for the 2014-2015 season and total salaries amount to roughly 35 million. Yes there’s space to offer a bigger contract but L.A.’s priority wouldn’t be Gasol. So unless Pau decides to have a major paycut (unlike Kobe Bryant), there’s a slim chance the he’ll be back in Los Angeles.
Gasol Destination #2: Bro-Bears in Memphis
How about a Gasol-Gasol frontcourt in Memphis? It worked for the Spanish National Team so maybe it can work in Tennessee.
“The city of Memphis attracts me because it’s a city I know, there’s an opportunity of playing with my brother and they have a solid team,” said Gasol who was drafted by the Grizzlies in 2001 and played there for six and a half seasons.
While Gasol is open to playing with his brother, the Grizzlies may have to deal out other players first to open a roster spot if the salaries are considered. Power forward Zach Randolph has a player option for 16.5 million and as a team the Grizzlies have a payroll of around 64.1M. Can the Grizzlies be creative enough to open up space for a player like Pau?
Gasol Destination #3: Running with the Bulls
With a come-backing Derrick Rose, a defensive system in place (courtesy of Tom Thibodeau) and a bunch of players who already know their roles (Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson and Jimmy Butler among others).
The Bulls have the capability to be creative financially with an option to cut/amnesty power forward Carlos Boozer. Alongside NBA Defensive Player of Year Noah and the Chicago defense, Gasol’s main weakness (read: defense) can be hidden and they sure can use a power forward/center that can provide a post presence and a mid-range game.
Which team is best fit for Gasol's skill set? And Which team will Gasol choose?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced