Where Will Pau Gasol Go? Brothers Reunion Possible in Memphis; Chicago Also an “Interesting” Choice
By James Patrick Quizon | May 11, 2014 1:27 AM EST
Pau Gasol is one of the top free agents in the offseason and the Spanish center has mentioned a few NBA teams he’s interested in playing for.
“I’m not ruling anything out,” Gasol said in interview with marca.com. That could practically mean anything as the veteran center is on twilight of his career but the Spaniard’s one requirement is that “he plays for a contender.”
NBA :Sacramento Kings at Los Angeles Lakers
Gasol Destination #1: Back to Los Angeles
“Of course, I hope the Lakers will make an offer - one that is good enough for me to consider - but I’m open to any offers that I would consider interesting and motivating for my present and my future,” said Gasol in the same interview.
Financially, the Lakers have potentially five players under contract for the 2014-2015 season and total salaries amount to roughly 35 million. Yes there’s space to offer a bigger contract but L.A.’s priority wouldn’t be Gasol. So unless Pau decides to have a major paycut (unlike Kobe Bryant), there’s a slim chance the he’ll be back in Los Angeles.
Gasol Destination #2: Bro-Bears in Memphis
How about a Gasol-Gasol frontcourt in Memphis? It worked for the Spanish National Team so maybe it can work in Tennessee.
“The city of Memphis attracts me because it’s a city I know, there’s an opportunity of playing with my brother and they have a solid team,” said Gasol who was drafted by the Grizzlies in 2001 and played there for six and a half seasons.
While Gasol is open to playing with his brother, the Grizzlies may have to deal out other players first to open a roster spot if the salaries are considered. Power forward Zach Randolph has a player option for 16.5 million and as a team the Grizzlies have a payroll of around 64.1M. Can the Grizzlies be creative enough to open up space for a player like Pau?
Gasol Destination #3: Running with the Bulls
With a come-backing Derrick Rose, a defensive system in place (courtesy of Tom Thibodeau) and a bunch of players who already know their roles (Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson and Jimmy Butler among others).
The Bulls have the capability to be creative financially with an option to cut/amnesty power forward Carlos Boozer. Alongside NBA Defensive Player of Year Noah and the Chicago defense, Gasol’s main weakness (read: defense) can be hidden and they sure can use a power forward/center that can provide a post presence and a mid-range game.
Which team is best fit for Gasol's skill set? And Which team will Gasol choose?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage