Motorola’s Next Handset to Roll Out in May
By Naveena Joy | May 10, 2014 1:51 PM EST
Motorola has reportedly been bought by Lenovo. Before the release of a new handset with this collaboration, Motorola sends an invitation for its next smartphone to be launched by May 13.
A woman takes a picture in front of a Motorola logo before the worldwide presentation of the Moto G mobile phone in Sao Paulo November 13, 2013.
The invitation read: "Connect more people to the world's information and each other, and they can do great things. Introducing the next smartphone from Motorola to make these connections happen. Made to last. Priced for all."
Unlike its big Android competitors, Motorola seems to be diverting its line from the premium market and focusing on building more affordable devices.
Motorola already has such a device in its package, Moto G, which was received well in the market. Perhaps, it could be either a successor to that phone or a handset going even further down in price. This indicates the company gears up to launch another low-cost device like Moto G.
It is likely that the upcoming smartphone could be a Moto E handset. It's expected to have a 4.3-inch HD screen and 5 MP rear camera, powered by a 1.2 GHz dual-core processor, 1 GB RAM and 4 GB of internal memory that can be extended through a microSD card. A 1900 mAh battery is seen along with Android 4.4 KitKat, dual SIM functionality and digital TV tuner. The Moto E is a toned down version of the popular Moto G with the speculated width of a mere 6.2 mm.
The invite also indicates at a phone made to last with water and dust resistance. Also, it is important to notice that the timing of the launch means that Motorola was already working on a product while still part of Google. This is the first big launch since it got along with Lenovo.
The current Moto G handset helped Motorola's market share in the UK to reach 6 percent within six months after its release. Motorola has already proven that it knows how to make a cheap smartphone worth-buying and that is why it is running with a similar price formula again.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Hits Battle Frontier Plus New Discoveries
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Essential Tips For Nexus 6: Camera And Entertainment, Notifications And Privacy, Battery
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Starter Tips And Tricks: Character Creation, Combat Modes, Party, Looting, War Table
- Vodafone Australia Software Update Weekly Wrap For Nov. 20: Blackberry, HTC, Huawei, Samsung And Sony
- HTC One M9: Speculations on Release Date, Specs And Features
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899