New Moto G ‘Cinema’, Nexus ‘Flounder’ Codenames Spotted
By Pavithra Rathinavel | May 10, 2014 11:42 AM EST
According to reliable sources, brand new 'codenames' spotted very recently pertaining to Motorola and Google that foretells the upcoming new devices from these companies.
Moto G Cinema
The popular and credible tipster Twitter handle @evleaks tweeted a screenshot showing a web page which had the words 'Moto G Cinema'. Interestingly, the wordage was part of Motorola's official website, says Droid-Life.
Nevertheless, there are not many information available to designate this wordage to a device, accessory, or a service at this point in time. It is worth noting that Motorola has slotted an event for May 13 in London; if the reports were true, the company might announce all the planned devices for this year.
According to 9to5google, the codename 'Cinema' could imply that the reported model of Motorola's budget handset would feature a bigger display with improved speakers, in order to facilitate a more 'cinematic' experience.
The website Myce spotted new codenames from 'Chromium issue tracker' tied to the upcoming Google device. The codenames are 'flounder' and 'volantis'.
According to the same site, the name 'flounder' is noteworthy because the search giant Google codenames its Nexus devices based on fish-related names. And hence this codename signifies that there could be a potential new Nexus device in the offing.
Interestingly, Google used the codename 'toro' for 'Verizon Galaxy Nexus', 'maguro' for GSM Galaxy Nexus, 'hammerhead' for Nexus 5 and 'mantaray' for Nexus 10, among others.
The other reported codename 'volantis' is not a fish-related name hence it could be a software or product name for this potential new device. Apparently, the Nexus products are tied to two names; the device name and the device's software name.
The same tech website quoted the following examples in order to understand this codename combination better. 'Mako' is the device name of Nexus 4; in addition, the same device has a software name of 'occam.' In the same lines, 'flo' is the codename of Nexus 7 2013 edition and the associated software name is 'razor.' So 'flounder' could be the device name of the upcoming device and 'volantis' is the software or product name.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build