Apple iPhone 6 Release Date in August: What to Expect
By Precious Silva | May 10, 2014 10:32 AM EST
Apple has been dropping surprises here and there starting with the discounted 2014 MacBook Airs. According to recent information, the tech giant may be gunning for an August release for its iPhone 6 instead of September. August is a month earlier than the usual iPhone release timeline. What happened? Will Apple really release ahead of time?
The gold colored version of the new iPhone 5S is seen after Apple Inc's media event in Cupertino, California September 10, 2013.
According to a report by Reuters, the Cupertino-based company plans to release its iPhone 6 this August. This is one month ahead of the previous release month that Apple followed throughout the years. The information came from Taiwanese media last May 10. According to the report, the new release information came from unidentified supply-chain sources.
However, Apple will not be releasing both sizes in August. According to Economic Daily News, Apple plans to launch the 4.7-inch version first. The report did not specify which regions will receive the iPhone first. Following the release of the 4.7-inch screen, Apple should release a 5.5-inch or 5.6-inch model in September.
The phablet version will have a similar release date as the iPhone 5 series.
Reuters also noted that people part of the supply chain confirmed to the agency that there will be two versions of the device. That is, a 4.7-inch version and a 5.5-inch version though Apple may choose to extend the size of the device up to 5.6 inches.
Economic Daily News indicated that Apple will produce around 80 million units of the iPhone 6 for 2014. Many industry watchers have emphasized Apple's better market performance if it will choose to release a phablet series of the iPhone 6. This will mean the company can compete in other sectors of the market including those tapped by Samsung and other big-screen Android smartphone manufacturers.
The phablet series will also be a fresh take on the device. It should generate enough interest and appeal to those who prefer wide screen user experience.
Apple has not made any official announcements about the iPhone 6 release and its final features.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates