iPhone 6 Release Date: Apple's Flagship Smartphone's Camera Superior to HTC One and Nokia Lumia?
By Raymond Ronamai | May 9, 2014 10:58 PM EST
Apple Inc. hasn't uttered even a word on the release date and features of its upcoming flagship smartphone dubbed as iPhone 6, but speculations on it have been doing the rounds for the last few months. Now, a new patent published by the US Patent & Trademark Office has revealed that the device may have camera superior to the one seen in HTC One and Nokia Lumia series.
The leaf on the Apple symbol is tinted green at the Apple flagship store on 5th Ave in New York
The iPhone 6 will be able to take "super resolution" photos with the help of image capturing device, Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), according to a note in the patent filing.
"...the OIS processor may be operable to command a translation of the image sensor while the lens remains stationary," said the patent filing note. "The OIS processor may be operable to shift the optical path to the image sensor by adjusting a prism, another lens element, or any similar component which the OIS processor may command."
The OIS technology helps a user to take high resolution photo in spite of some movement. It is used in HTC One and several models from Nokia Lumia series like 930, 1520, 1020, 925 and 920, but Apple's patent has suggested that its device would take a sharper picture.
It was earlier reported that iPhone 6 would have a split camera system that can help take high quality pictures by capturing light and color data separately. There are also reports that the device would a camera that support swappable lenses but nothing is confirmed as of now.
iPhone 6 is likely to be unveiled this fall despite speculations that it would be announced at Apple's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference 2014 (WWDC) in June. Several sources, including Reuters and Nikkei have suggested that Apple's new flagship smartphone would be unveiled in September.
Apple Inc. is expected to launch two models of iPhone 6 - a 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch devices - with full scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen this fall. The 4.7-inch model is expected to have a 1920x1080p (440ppi) resolution, powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities. Chinese analyst Sun Chang Xu had also hinted that Apple would introduce sensors that can detect pressure, temperature and humidity in its upcoming smartphone.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family