Mother’s Day 2014: NSW Woman Who Took Care of Cancer-Stricken Daughter & 18-Year-Old Fellow Patient Receives Mum of the Year Award
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 9, 2014 10:28 PM EST
A 49-year-old woman from New South Wales is the 2014 Mother of the Year awardee in Australia. Gloria Nascimento was recognised on Friday by the children's charity Barnardos for her selfless love for her cancer-stricken daughter as well as another male cancer patient whom she treated like her own child.
Her daughter, Cassie, was 16 when the girl was diagnosed with brain cancer and given only a 4 per cent chance of surviving the disease. As expected of a loving mum, she drove Cassie to her doctor's appointments between Wollongong and Sydney and slept on the floor beside the hospital bed of her such daughter when they stayed overnight.
During these three difficult years, Cassie befriended another cancer patient, 18-year-old Jason Carrasco who was suffering from testicular cancer. Despite their own struggles, Gloria supported Jason and his family as much as she could. She said such acts of love helped her stay positive amid trials in her life.
Cassie died in November 2013, but Jason has survived his ailment. To show his appreciation for Gloria whom he considers his second mum, Jason nominated her for the Mother of the Year award.
Gloria stood with him during times of adversity, said Jason who shared, "Gloria was by my side to give me a hug, to make me cupcakes. Thank you for everything."
While not many Australian mums may have done something as loving and heroic as Gloria did, which explains why she really deserved being recognised as the Mum of the Year, other mothers will be shown respect and appreciation by their children also as the nation celebrates Mother's Day on Sunday.
Business information analysts at IBIWorld reckon that Aussies will spend $1.4 billion for Mother's Day 2014, higher by 2.9 per cent on how much they spent the same event in 2013. That would average to $61.31 per mum, slightly higher than last year's $60.47 average tab, but double what they spent on their dads.
Dan Ruthven, IBISWorld Australia general manager, explained that the price difference does not mean Aussies love their mums more than their dads, but is partly because of more gift options available for mother dearest, compared to father dearest.
"Whereas food, alcohol, sporting goods and the stalwart hankie and sock gift pack are seen as the presents of choice for Dad, Mum enjoys a far broader spectrum from bouquets to bottles of champagne, perfume and spa treatments," Ruthven pointed out.
But what do Aussie mums really want for Sunday?
Pip Stocks, co-founder of BrandHook, cited the result of their study that said the top five responses are holidays, lunch with the family, time with family, anything homemade and plants/gardens/flowers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia