‘Big Brother Australia’ Ex-Housemate Tully Smyth Broke and Exhausted, Responds to ‘My Kitchen Rules’ Villain Kelly Ramsay
By Anne Lu | May 9, 2014 10:26 PM EST
Ex-“Big Brother Australia” housemate Tully Smyth has had quite a controversial stay in the famous house in 2013, becoming one of the most hated housemates of the season. Her eviction from the house didn’t make her life better, though. In fact, even with her newfound fame, it made her life worse.
Tully was one of the “Big Brother” housemates for the 2013 series of the show, which saw Tim Dormer winning the grand prize at the end. Viewers remember first as the housemate who cried a lot even at the slightest instance, and then as the one who cheated on her girlfriend with housemate Anthony Drew on public television.
Needless to say, she wasn’t able to endear herself to a lot of viewers.
Writing on her Tumblr blog in response to an article on news.com.au about “My Kitchen Rules” contestant Kelly Ramsay’s hospitalisation and dismal financial state, the former social media strategist said that life after their 15 minutes of fame is indeed tough.
Kelly told the Web site that she was admitted to the hospital for exhaustion during the weekend after the high-pressure environment of the reality show had taken its toll.
She and her teammate Chloe James became the season’s bullies after viewers found their behaviour unpleasant. Kelly blamed the show’s editing, saying they were purposely made to look bad.
Tully was also portrayed as a villain in the show. Unlike Kelly, though, she didn’t blame the show for it.
“…I think it’s a little rich for Kelly to blame editing for the way in which she was depicted,” she wrote. “She knew what she was signing up for and she said every single word that was aired – she just probably wishes they hadn’t picked and ignored the parts they did.”
Nevertheless, Tully still supports Kelly because she knows “just how f****** tough it is after the bubble bursts.”
Tully recounted how reality show contestants are pampered and spoiled during their time on the show. They have people booking their planes, giving them fancy dresses to wear into a celebrity event, driving them to and from their destination. They even have people complimenting them on whatever they do.
“And then it all stops.
“As suddenly as it started and before you can say ‘but where is my hotel transfer?’ – only a handful of those people give a flying s*** who you are, how you are or what you’re feeling.”
She then found herself being excluded from her group of friends, having no job, and being “emotionally, physically, mentally” exhausted.
“Your old job would probably take you back if you went begging with your tail between your legs but could you handle it? All the whispering and the looks? Doesn’t that mean the small window of opportunity has now indeed closed and you have failed at making anything yourself?”
She also needed psychological help from the negativity that welcomed her after leaving the house. And although “Big Brother” provided a psychologist immediately after she was evicted, “there isn’t a whole lot of help in that regard.”
She had to ask the production company to cover the cost of a psychologist of her choosing. Fortunately, she was granted that wish.
Tully suggests that future reality show contestants, regardless of show or network, should have compulsory check-ins with independent psychologist up to 12 months after the program ends.
“We’re human. We’re people. We have feelings and insecurities. We make mistakes – just like you. We just happen to be silly enough to agree to have them filmed for a national audience.”
Read Tully’s full blog entry here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family