First Sibling of Sun Discovered
By Parismita Goswami | May 9, 2014 10:16 PM EST
Researchers have identified the first sibling of the Sun; a star born out of the same molecular composition as that of the Sun.
First sibling of Sun discovered (NASA)
Researchers believe that the discovery will provide new facts about the Sun and details on where and how it was born. The newly discovered star, named HD 162826, is positioned 110 light years away in a constellation called Hercules, according to Ivan Ramirez of the University of Texas; the lead author of the study.
"This star is a little bit bigger than the Sun, it's a little bit warmer on the surface, and obviously is the same age, because it was born at the same time," ABC quoted Ramirez.
The Sun and the other stars were all formed during the collapse of the same molecular gas and dust clouds that occurred about 4.6 billion years ago. The collapse resulted in group of stars which moved apart.
"We did hundreds of simulations to determine not just how the stars are moving today, but by turning the clock back in time and using gravity dynamics, to see how they were moving in the past," Ramirez pointed out.
The team of researchers identified HD 162826 as the sibling of the Sun by checking on to 30 probable candidates. 23 of these stars were studied in detail by using Harlan J. Smith Telescope at McDonald Observatory, and the rest of the stars with the Clay Magellan Telescope at Las Campanas Observatory in Chile. High-resolution spectroscopy was used to understand the chemical composition of the stars.
"We can say that this star doesn't have a big hot Jupiter type massive planet orbiting very close to it, because previous searches for planets around this star haven't found any. But small planets like Earth are difficult to detect," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date