Hugh Jackman has Second Skin Cancer Scare: What is Basal Cell Carcinoma?
By Keerthi Mohan | May 9, 2014 8:06 PM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" actor Hugh Jackman recently revealed that he had once again removed basal cell carcinoma from his nose, and urged his fans to use sunscreen before stepping out into the sun.
Hugh Jackman says he'll keep playing 'Wolverine' as long as fans want him to
"All out now. Thanks Dr. Album and Dr. Arian. PLEASE! PLEASE! WEAR SUNSCREEN!" Jackman wrote on his official Instagram account and added a picture of his bandaged nose.
This is not the first time Jackman had to remove basal cell carcinoma from his nose. In November last year, he announced to his Instagram followers that he suffered a skin cancer scare on his face in the form of a lump on his nose, which he got checked out at his wife’s request.
"Deb said to get the mark on my nose checked. Boy she was right! Please don’t be foolish like me. Get yourself checked !And USE sunscreen!!!," he said at the time.
Basal cell carcinoma, according to reports, is a common type of skin cancer seen as a bump or sore. This usually occurs due to long-term exposure to sun’s radiation. Although it does not spread, the basal cell carcinoma can cause disfigurement if left untreated.
Statistics on the Skin Cancer Foundation’s website points out that there are an estimated 2.8 million cases of BCC diagnosed in the U.S. each year. In fact, it is one of the most frequently occurring forms of cancer. It appears in the form of open sores, red patches, pink growths, shiny bumps, or scars.
The Foundation also notes that people who have had basal cell carcinoma once are at a risk of developing others in the same area over the years.
At present. Jackman is busy promoting his latest movie "X-Men: Days of Future Past," which is opening on May 23. He is also set to host the Tony Awards on June 8, following which he will star as Blackbeard in the 2015 film "Pan.” The story is based on the original "Peter Pan" story.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports