Hugh Jackman has Second Skin Cancer Scare: What is Basal Cell Carcinoma?
By Keerthi Mohan | May 9, 2014 8:06 PM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" actor Hugh Jackman recently revealed that he had once again removed basal cell carcinoma from his nose, and urged his fans to use sunscreen before stepping out into the sun.
Hugh Jackman says he'll keep playing 'Wolverine' as long as fans want him to
"All out now. Thanks Dr. Album and Dr. Arian. PLEASE! PLEASE! WEAR SUNSCREEN!" Jackman wrote on his official Instagram account and added a picture of his bandaged nose.
This is not the first time Jackman had to remove basal cell carcinoma from his nose. In November last year, he announced to his Instagram followers that he suffered a skin cancer scare on his face in the form of a lump on his nose, which he got checked out at his wife’s request.
"Deb said to get the mark on my nose checked. Boy she was right! Please don’t be foolish like me. Get yourself checked !And USE sunscreen!!!," he said at the time.
Basal cell carcinoma, according to reports, is a common type of skin cancer seen as a bump or sore. This usually occurs due to long-term exposure to sun’s radiation. Although it does not spread, the basal cell carcinoma can cause disfigurement if left untreated.
Statistics on the Skin Cancer Foundation’s website points out that there are an estimated 2.8 million cases of BCC diagnosed in the U.S. each year. In fact, it is one of the most frequently occurring forms of cancer. It appears in the form of open sores, red patches, pink growths, shiny bumps, or scars.
The Foundation also notes that people who have had basal cell carcinoma once are at a risk of developing others in the same area over the years.
At present. Jackman is busy promoting his latest movie "X-Men: Days of Future Past," which is opening on May 23. He is also set to host the Tony Awards on June 8, following which he will star as Blackbeard in the 2015 film "Pan.” The story is based on the original "Peter Pan" story.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Premiere Announcement Plus Spoilers [Watch Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists