Hugh Jackman has Second Skin Cancer Scare: What is Basal Cell Carcinoma?
By Keerthi Mohan | May 9, 2014 8:06 PM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" actor Hugh Jackman recently revealed that he had once again removed basal cell carcinoma from his nose, and urged his fans to use sunscreen before stepping out into the sun.
Hugh Jackman says he'll keep playing 'Wolverine' as long as fans want him to
"All out now. Thanks Dr. Album and Dr. Arian. PLEASE! PLEASE! WEAR SUNSCREEN!" Jackman wrote on his official Instagram account and added a picture of his bandaged nose.
This is not the first time Jackman had to remove basal cell carcinoma from his nose. In November last year, he announced to his Instagram followers that he suffered a skin cancer scare on his face in the form of a lump on his nose, which he got checked out at his wife’s request.
"Deb said to get the mark on my nose checked. Boy she was right! Please don’t be foolish like me. Get yourself checked !And USE sunscreen!!!," he said at the time.
Basal cell carcinoma, according to reports, is a common type of skin cancer seen as a bump or sore. This usually occurs due to long-term exposure to sun’s radiation. Although it does not spread, the basal cell carcinoma can cause disfigurement if left untreated.
Statistics on the Skin Cancer Foundation’s website points out that there are an estimated 2.8 million cases of BCC diagnosed in the U.S. each year. In fact, it is one of the most frequently occurring forms of cancer. It appears in the form of open sores, red patches, pink growths, shiny bumps, or scars.
The Foundation also notes that people who have had basal cell carcinoma once are at a risk of developing others in the same area over the years.
At present. Jackman is busy promoting his latest movie "X-Men: Days of Future Past," which is opening on May 23. He is also set to host the Tony Awards on June 8, following which he will star as Blackbeard in the 2015 film "Pan.” The story is based on the original "Peter Pan" story.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate