Hugh Jackman has Second Skin Cancer Scare: What is Basal Cell Carcinoma?
By Keerthi Mohan | May 9, 2014 8:06 PM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" actor Hugh Jackman recently revealed that he had once again removed basal cell carcinoma from his nose, and urged his fans to use sunscreen before stepping out into the sun.
Hugh Jackman says he'll keep playing 'Wolverine' as long as fans want him to
"All out now. Thanks Dr. Album and Dr. Arian. PLEASE! PLEASE! WEAR SUNSCREEN!" Jackman wrote on his official Instagram account and added a picture of his bandaged nose.
This is not the first time Jackman had to remove basal cell carcinoma from his nose. In November last year, he announced to his Instagram followers that he suffered a skin cancer scare on his face in the form of a lump on his nose, which he got checked out at his wife’s request.
"Deb said to get the mark on my nose checked. Boy she was right! Please don’t be foolish like me. Get yourself checked !And USE sunscreen!!!," he said at the time.
Basal cell carcinoma, according to reports, is a common type of skin cancer seen as a bump or sore. This usually occurs due to long-term exposure to sun’s radiation. Although it does not spread, the basal cell carcinoma can cause disfigurement if left untreated.
Statistics on the Skin Cancer Foundation’s website points out that there are an estimated 2.8 million cases of BCC diagnosed in the U.S. each year. In fact, it is one of the most frequently occurring forms of cancer. It appears in the form of open sores, red patches, pink growths, shiny bumps, or scars.
The Foundation also notes that people who have had basal cell carcinoma once are at a risk of developing others in the same area over the years.
At present. Jackman is busy promoting his latest movie "X-Men: Days of Future Past," which is opening on May 23. He is also set to host the Tony Awards on June 8, following which he will star as Blackbeard in the 2015 film "Pan.” The story is based on the original "Peter Pan" story.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills