Hugh Jackman has Second Skin Cancer Scare: What is Basal Cell Carcinoma?
By Keerthi Mohan | May 9, 2014 8:06 PM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" actor Hugh Jackman recently revealed that he had once again removed basal cell carcinoma from his nose, and urged his fans to use sunscreen before stepping out into the sun.
Hugh Jackman says he'll keep playing 'Wolverine' as long as fans want him to
"All out now. Thanks Dr. Album and Dr. Arian. PLEASE! PLEASE! WEAR SUNSCREEN!" Jackman wrote on his official Instagram account and added a picture of his bandaged nose.
This is not the first time Jackman had to remove basal cell carcinoma from his nose. In November last year, he announced to his Instagram followers that he suffered a skin cancer scare on his face in the form of a lump on his nose, which he got checked out at his wife’s request.
"Deb said to get the mark on my nose checked. Boy she was right! Please don’t be foolish like me. Get yourself checked !And USE sunscreen!!!," he said at the time.
Basal cell carcinoma, according to reports, is a common type of skin cancer seen as a bump or sore. This usually occurs due to long-term exposure to sun’s radiation. Although it does not spread, the basal cell carcinoma can cause disfigurement if left untreated.
Statistics on the Skin Cancer Foundation’s website points out that there are an estimated 2.8 million cases of BCC diagnosed in the U.S. each year. In fact, it is one of the most frequently occurring forms of cancer. It appears in the form of open sores, red patches, pink growths, shiny bumps, or scars.
The Foundation also notes that people who have had basal cell carcinoma once are at a risk of developing others in the same area over the years.
At present. Jackman is busy promoting his latest movie "X-Men: Days of Future Past," which is opening on May 23. He is also set to host the Tony Awards on June 8, following which he will star as Blackbeard in the 2015 film "Pan.” The story is based on the original "Peter Pan" story.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Nymeria Sand and Arya's Nymeria As Possible Ferocious Forces in New HBO Chapter
- The Bachelor 2014 Update: Nikki Ferrell Sparks Split News Amid Juan Pablo’s Cheating Reports; Find out the Truth
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People