Zac Efron’s ‘Neighbors’ to Make a Name on the Box Office; Report Expects Spider-Man to Face New Villain [WATCH VIDEO]
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | May 9, 2014 6:46 PM EST
With many films gracing the silver screens for 2014, many critics are venturing out to predict whether upcoming movies will become box office hits or not, and apparently the prediction includes the movie "Neighbors."
Actor Zac Efron arrives at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California on April 13, 2014.
Neighbors is a comedy movie directed by Nicholas Stoller, starring Zac Efron, Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne. Apparently, it is being internationally released under the title "Bad Neighbors" as the story revolves around a couple with a newborn baby forced to live next door with what was considered to be a fraternity house headed by Teddy Sanders (Zac Efron).
A New York Times movie review stated that 'Neighbors' "does something a little different," combining "romantic traditionalism" with what it refers to as "new-school naughtiness." Meanwhile, a Rolling Stone review called it as "the killer party movie of the summer."
However, a Dallas Morning News report debunks the new approach of the comedy movie, saying that "concise comedy," which appears Neighbors has, is making way to "desperation" and people are left with only immature adults to embrace.
Still, the Nicholas Stoller movie is expected to make noise in its weekend debut as it already received mostly positive reviews, garnering 80% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with its prerelease.
"It [Neighbors] succeeds. Despite a strain of sweetness and considerable smarts, the film is a bit like 'Animal House' on steroids - and with penis molds. If crude and lewd offend, beware," Los Angeles Times Betsy Sharkey wrote in a movie review. If Neighbors eventually make a hit during its weekend opening, prediction is it will "crash" "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" party.
Making a grand promotional tour all over the world prior to its release, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" movie starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Jamie Foxx, is considered to be the one to beat. Information from Box Office Mojo affirms that the superhero sequel has surpassed its 2012 weekend opening of $62 million with a new grand weekend debut of $91.6 million.
According to a Los Angeles Times report, people who have watched the Neighbors prerelease expect the comedy movie to make $35 million from its weekend debut in the U.S. and Canada. However, Universal Studios reportedly say that it is predicting at least $25 million plus.
Find out if Neighbors does have the capacity to crash The Amazing spider-Man 2 party as the comedy movie hits theatres on May 9 in the U.S. and under the title "Bad Neighbours" in Australia on May 8.
WATCH: 'Neighbors' TV Spot 23
Source: YouTube/Universal Pictures
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2