Zac Efron’s ‘Neighbors’ to Make a Name on the Box Office; Report Expects Spider-Man to Face New Villain [WATCH VIDEO]
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | May 9, 2014 6:46 PM EST
With many films gracing the silver screens for 2014, many critics are venturing out to predict whether upcoming movies will become box office hits or not, and apparently the prediction includes the movie "Neighbors."
Actor Zac Efron arrives at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California on April 13, 2014.
Neighbors is a comedy movie directed by Nicholas Stoller, starring Zac Efron, Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne. Apparently, it is being internationally released under the title "Bad Neighbors" as the story revolves around a couple with a newborn baby forced to live next door with what was considered to be a fraternity house headed by Teddy Sanders (Zac Efron).
A New York Times movie review stated that 'Neighbors' "does something a little different," combining "romantic traditionalism" with what it refers to as "new-school naughtiness." Meanwhile, a Rolling Stone review called it as "the killer party movie of the summer."
However, a Dallas Morning News report debunks the new approach of the comedy movie, saying that "concise comedy," which appears Neighbors has, is making way to "desperation" and people are left with only immature adults to embrace.
Still, the Nicholas Stoller movie is expected to make noise in its weekend debut as it already received mostly positive reviews, garnering 80% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with its prerelease.
"It [Neighbors] succeeds. Despite a strain of sweetness and considerable smarts, the film is a bit like 'Animal House' on steroids - and with penis molds. If crude and lewd offend, beware," Los Angeles Times Betsy Sharkey wrote in a movie review. If Neighbors eventually make a hit during its weekend opening, prediction is it will "crash" "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" party.
Making a grand promotional tour all over the world prior to its release, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" movie starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Jamie Foxx, is considered to be the one to beat. Information from Box Office Mojo affirms that the superhero sequel has surpassed its 2012 weekend opening of $62 million with a new grand weekend debut of $91.6 million.
According to a Los Angeles Times report, people who have watched the Neighbors prerelease expect the comedy movie to make $35 million from its weekend debut in the U.S. and Canada. However, Universal Studios reportedly say that it is predicting at least $25 million plus.
Find out if Neighbors does have the capacity to crash The Amazing spider-Man 2 party as the comedy movie hits theatres on May 9 in the U.S. and under the title "Bad Neighbours" in Australia on May 8.
WATCH: 'Neighbors' TV Spot 23
Source: YouTube/Universal Pictures
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’