Zac Efron’s ‘Neighbors’ to Make a Name on the Box Office; Report Expects Spider-Man to Face New Villain [WATCH VIDEO]
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | May 9, 2014 6:46 PM EST
With many films gracing the silver screens for 2014, many critics are venturing out to predict whether upcoming movies will become box office hits or not, and apparently the prediction includes the movie "Neighbors."
Actor Zac Efron arrives at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California on April 13, 2014.
Neighbors is a comedy movie directed by Nicholas Stoller, starring Zac Efron, Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne. Apparently, it is being internationally released under the title "Bad Neighbors" as the story revolves around a couple with a newborn baby forced to live next door with what was considered to be a fraternity house headed by Teddy Sanders (Zac Efron).
A New York Times movie review stated that 'Neighbors' "does something a little different," combining "romantic traditionalism" with what it refers to as "new-school naughtiness." Meanwhile, a Rolling Stone review called it as "the killer party movie of the summer."
However, a Dallas Morning News report debunks the new approach of the comedy movie, saying that "concise comedy," which appears Neighbors has, is making way to "desperation" and people are left with only immature adults to embrace.
Still, the Nicholas Stoller movie is expected to make noise in its weekend debut as it already received mostly positive reviews, garnering 80% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with its prerelease.
"It [Neighbors] succeeds. Despite a strain of sweetness and considerable smarts, the film is a bit like 'Animal House' on steroids - and with penis molds. If crude and lewd offend, beware," Los Angeles Times Betsy Sharkey wrote in a movie review. If Neighbors eventually make a hit during its weekend opening, prediction is it will "crash" "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" party.
Making a grand promotional tour all over the world prior to its release, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" movie starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Jamie Foxx, is considered to be the one to beat. Information from Box Office Mojo affirms that the superhero sequel has surpassed its 2012 weekend opening of $62 million with a new grand weekend debut of $91.6 million.
According to a Los Angeles Times report, people who have watched the Neighbors prerelease expect the comedy movie to make $35 million from its weekend debut in the U.S. and Canada. However, Universal Studios reportedly say that it is predicting at least $25 million plus.
Find out if Neighbors does have the capacity to crash The Amazing spider-Man 2 party as the comedy movie hits theatres on May 9 in the U.S. and under the title "Bad Neighbours" in Australia on May 8.
WATCH: 'Neighbors' TV Spot 23
Source: YouTube/Universal Pictures
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase