Zac Efron’s ‘Neighbors’ to Make a Name on the Box Office; Report Expects Spider-Man to Face New Villain [WATCH VIDEO]
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | May 9, 2014 6:46 PM EST
With many films gracing the silver screens for 2014, many critics are venturing out to predict whether upcoming movies will become box office hits or not, and apparently the prediction includes the movie "Neighbors."
Actor Zac Efron arrives at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California on April 13, 2014.
Neighbors is a comedy movie directed by Nicholas Stoller, starring Zac Efron, Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne. Apparently, it is being internationally released under the title "Bad Neighbors" as the story revolves around a couple with a newborn baby forced to live next door with what was considered to be a fraternity house headed by Teddy Sanders (Zac Efron).
A New York Times movie review stated that 'Neighbors' "does something a little different," combining "romantic traditionalism" with what it refers to as "new-school naughtiness." Meanwhile, a Rolling Stone review called it as "the killer party movie of the summer."
However, a Dallas Morning News report debunks the new approach of the comedy movie, saying that "concise comedy," which appears Neighbors has, is making way to "desperation" and people are left with only immature adults to embrace.
Still, the Nicholas Stoller movie is expected to make noise in its weekend debut as it already received mostly positive reviews, garnering 80% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with its prerelease.
"It [Neighbors] succeeds. Despite a strain of sweetness and considerable smarts, the film is a bit like 'Animal House' on steroids - and with penis molds. If crude and lewd offend, beware," Los Angeles Times Betsy Sharkey wrote in a movie review. If Neighbors eventually make a hit during its weekend opening, prediction is it will "crash" "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" party.
Making a grand promotional tour all over the world prior to its release, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" movie starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Jamie Foxx, is considered to be the one to beat. Information from Box Office Mojo affirms that the superhero sequel has surpassed its 2012 weekend opening of $62 million with a new grand weekend debut of $91.6 million.
According to a Los Angeles Times report, people who have watched the Neighbors prerelease expect the comedy movie to make $35 million from its weekend debut in the U.S. and Canada. However, Universal Studios reportedly say that it is predicting at least $25 million plus.
Find out if Neighbors does have the capacity to crash The Amazing spider-Man 2 party as the comedy movie hits theatres on May 9 in the U.S. and under the title "Bad Neighbours" in Australia on May 8.
WATCH: 'Neighbors' TV Spot 23
Source: YouTube/Universal Pictures
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage